What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
How come some umpires dont call it simply from their opinion of wether its helping
(giving advantage) or not.

Rules are structure in the sport.
Because they really don't understand the rule, and don't want to put up with the grieve from the coaches that don't know either.

inumpire

Oct 31, 2014
Agreed, it needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. But lets look at another angle. You have 17 other 10u players (8 on the field and 9 on the other team) that need to get playing (development) time and if the umps are calling a leap on every other pitch, they're being robbed of their opportunity. Because it will be called on almost every pitch at the 10u level if a girl is doing it. That habit is not getting fixed during a game, it will be fixed in the backyard.

So I actually fall on the side of the umpire here. Point it out after the game to the coach and kid. Use it as a teaching moment but don't make the other players have to sit through a terrible game.

IMHO, at 10U it should be called, but there should be no penalty. Most umpires at 10U are learning, and so are the coaches. Win win, pitchers learn, and no one is hurt.

inumpire

Oct 31, 2014
While we are at it. Why do umpires have their own interpretations of the strike zone? Shouldn't the zone be the same for everyone? Why should it take a few innings to figure out what the ump's zone is? Why can't it be the same all the time? I am pretty sure the strike zone is specified on the rule book.
With that thought process, why aren't all coaches the same? All the rules are the same? Why aren't all pitchers the same? It is called human element.....it is what make sports so much fun!!

Jun 19, 2016
Kills me to see this..... Kills me to see Pitchers who works her rear off to pitch the correct Legal way have to face and get destroyed by Illegal pitching......

I have so many pics of a 12u girl in my area FLYING off the mound and another girl completely replanting......

Those 2 girls get the playing time and the accolades...

It's crazy... I do side by side videos of my kid Vs other pitchers and the REPLANT is key for these girls throwing 50+ at 12u IMO.....

Maybe after she cleans up her form we can add a Cheat code later but, horrible for legal kids to keep losing to Cheaters....
50 MPH is not fast at 12U. Lots of pitchers are capable of throwing legal pitches in the low 50s at this age. Upper 50s are rare but it happens. I would honestly say that illegal pitches are pretty rare in 12U. I honestly see it more with 10U girls that are just learning to pitch and in most cases they are not getting an advantage. They just don't have full control of their body yet.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lol...maybe because most games only have one umpire
and they cant/wont/dont call runners out for leaving early, they let illegal pitches go too..... :)

Aug 21, 2008
I use Folkard as an example of how the men pitch, he may be a bit extreme but that's what makes him useful. There is something noticeably different about how the men pitch when they replant, which most of them do. The women who replant, Barnhill, Plain, Carda, are the ones who come to mind, do it in a way that is different from the men. Their posture is tipped forward more, there is less front side resistance and less brush. The men land in a way that is more 'classic', leaning back with more FSR.

When I talk about timing I don't mean the hitters, I'm thinking about where the ball is in the circle vs pushoff and landing. The men seem to have a slower arm circle when the ball goes over the top. If you could measure ball speed throughout the circle I think that the men would be slower at around 12 o'clock.

Got ya. I guess I misunderstood what you meant. Folkard's jump is definitely the extreme.

I think it was you, Armwhip who mentioned an arm hesitation on the leapers. And this is why I've always said, Crowhopping is NOT a problem with the feet. It's a problem with the hands. Every pitcher that crow hops has a pause, hitch or stop in their arm circle. The pause occurs at the exact moment the back foot lands. For most it's 12:00. Folkard's is more at 9:00 with his hand in his glove. Every crow hopper has this hitch or pause in their circle. It always happens at or before the 12;00 position. This leads to crow hoppers often using muscle after the pause to regain arm speed, which is why SOOOO many get sore in the front of the shoulder after a game. They over use that pectoral muscle in trying to make up for that hitch. If you eliminate that hitch, the arm circle goes smooth and there's no chance the backfoot can do a replant. SO, fix the hands and you'll fix the foot problem.

May 27, 2013
For those who say they never see IP called in college - it was called yesterday in LSU vs Texas game.

May 27, 2013
Lsu #27? Which inning? I am watching YouTube and felt lsu #27 is crop hopping.

I believe they called it on the Texas pitcher. I read it in the game summary, didn’t get to watch the game.

It was the pitch right before Sunseri hit the HR - apparently Texas thought they got her on a strikeout but then IP was called. Next pitch - HR. It was early in game 2 on Sat, I believe.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
The IP that was called had nothing to do with her feet. If you watch after the call, the umpire does a motion related to bringing her hands together. Later in the inning when mike white goes out to the circle the ump comes up to them and make a motion bringing his hands together again.

I thought it was because she steps pretty far off the rubber before she pushes, but this would be called by the base umpire and not the home plate umpire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06