What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
Played a tournament this weekend 10u, told field blue about crow hoping on pitcher, he said it was ok because her toe was pointing down...(you could literally see about a foot or so on the hop) utrip rules

sooo my questions is what’s crow hop then ? and why some blues call it and some don’t ?
I asked this to blue and his answer was her tow is pointing down... and I’ve been doing this for a long time I know what I am doing.....
**after reading y’all comment is more of a leaping**

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I used to play men’s fast pitch way back in the day. A crow hop back then was when the pitcher pushed off with the right foot, planted it and then pushed off again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
sounds like you got the classic Making stuff up. Umpire. It actually sounds like pitcher was leaping, both feet off the ground versus a crow-hop or re-plant issue.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sounds like both you and the ump don’t know the differrence between leaping and crow hopping. A leap is just that. Air between the drive foot and the ground. UMPs can decide if that gap is due to the dirt has been trenched out by the tie drag and without the trench the foot would be touching the ground. A crow hop is when the pitcher establishes a new starting point and pushes again, the drive foot could be off the ground but it is t necessary for a crow hop.
Both are illegal although in my opinion the leap should not be.

Jun 24, 2019
Sounds like both you and the ump don’t know the differrence between leaping and crow hopping. A leap is just that. Air between the drive foot and the ground. UMPs can decide if that gap is due to the dirt has been trenched out by the tie drag and without the trench the foot would be touching the ground. A crow hop is when the pitcher establishes a new starting point and pushes again, the drive foot could be off the ground but it is t necessary for a crow hop.
Both are illegal although in my opinion the leap should not be.

I would understand if it was a dirt field cause of the hole in the pitching rubber, but this was a turf field, in. Game prior to ours they were calling it, their other pitcher was doing the exact same thing but it was a different set of blues, I guess it was a judgement “call” like the blue said

Oct 26, 2019
Important to note that this is also 10U. In my experience they never call it at 10U and the opposing coaches never ask for it to be called. We would never get a game in if they called every leap at that age.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
At that age it is about education, not punishment.
How do you educate without punishment?

f-school-letter-grade.jpg

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How come some umpires dont call it simply from their opinion of wether its helping
(giving advantage) or not.

Rules are structure in the sport.

May 27, 2013
And here is where the problem begins. Prime example of letting it go at the younger ages because they are just learning and are so young. Parents and coaches then have no reason to try to get the player to break the habit because, “They never call it anyway.” Player then continues to pitch this way and all of a sudden when she’s older and it is getting called in HS, she falls apart. Why not use it as a teaching moment at this age so that they are forced to correct it before the muscle memory becomes too difficult to fix? I get that this may sound harsh at 10U but the umpires are not doing this player a favor at that age by allowing it to continue.