Can you be to competitive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
She posed with the team for "the team" pictures and hi fived the other team and coaches. She leaves everything on the field every game.
I think what gets to her is other's might night not share her intensity and are content with 2nd (her words). I know It just makes her work even harder.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
DD and I are very competitive. We were upset when we lost the race on the Cars ride at Disneyland. With that said I always taught her to accept the loss quickly and move on. If they give you a medal for finishing in 2nd or winning the silver or whatever, just be graceful and take it. One thing I always tried to do after a tournament was focus on how we played versus the results. We won tournaments where we didn't play well and lost ones where we played very well.

Feb 3, 2016
DD and I are very competitive. We were upset when we lost the race on the Cars ride at Disneyland. With that said I always taught her to accept the loss quickly and move on. If they give you a medal for finishing in 2nd or winning the silver or whatever, just be graceful and take it. One thing I always tried to do after a tournament was focus on how we played versus the results. We won tournaments where we didn't play well and lost ones where we played very well.

We only go to Disney when we play ball at the ESPN wide world of sports facility.
If we did go to Disney you'd probably would've placed 3rd on the CARS ride. :)

She isn't a poor sport or a petulant kid just ultra competitive and cares too much.

I really wanted to know if other members here have kids that are obsessive about the W. How they work on having fun other than just the winning aspect. Does it drive your DD and team or are some kids just that indifferent about outcome.

I agree not all 2nd place finishes are equal and the wife and I were surprised at her reaction to the results of the Championship game. It was an excellent weekend of Fastpitch for her team.

Maybe she's a little excessive compulsive about working on her skill set and physical abilities. We've only asked that she works hard on effort while practicing her craft so on game day she can just play and have fun. All in all that isn't a bad thing although to much of anything isn't healthy.

We talk about the day/weekends events and work on stuff she can control.

Oct 4, 2018
We only go to Disney when we play ball at the ESPN wide world of sports facility.
If we did go to Disney you'd probably would've placed 3rd on the CARS ride. :)

She isn't a poor sport or a petulant kid just ultra competitive and cares too much.

I really wanted to know if other members here have kids that are obsessive about the W. How they work on having fun other than just the winning aspect. Does it drive your DD and team or are some kids just that indifferent about outcome.

I agree not all 2nd place finishes are equal and the wife and I were surprised at her reaction to the results of the Championship game. It was an excellent weekend of Fastpitch for her team.

Maybe she's a little excessive compulsive about working on her skill set and physical abilities. We've only asked that she works hard on effort while practicing her craft so on game day she can just play and have fun. All in all that isn't a bad thing although to much of anything isn't healthy.

We talk about the day/weekends events and work on stuff she can control.

I wonder where she gets it from? ;) :p

I'm glad you notice and glad you are working on it. Being competitive and wanting to win are great qualities, but when it goes too far it leads to losing friends and missing out on life opportunities. Please don't take this as an insult as it isn't -- just a stranger on the internet sharing some personal experience and wisdom from having gone through this.

May 8, 2019
This was in an article on extra innings softball site that had me thinking about my daughter's competitiveness.

"HOW DO YOU THINK THE PLAYERS FEEL ABOUT LAST YEAR?

Coach Nelson: Defeat! This team has been so successful because they feel the defeat that others don’t. It’s burns them inside knowing they were so close but yet so far."

My DD's Tournament results so far this year.. 1st place, 3rd place and recently a 2nd place finish.

She wouldn't even pose with the 2nd place trophy after the game. She was extremely disappointed and actually down right furious.

Can you be too competitive?

I think it's a fine line that has both pluses and minuses. I suppose if it motivates her more it can't be all bad.
How competitive are your DD's?

yup work hard and be more competitive

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish