Going to be the first time I have not coached my DD this weekend...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Mike; I like your idea much more than mine! "Red Solo Cup, lets have a party."

Yes, it will be nice to join the "mixed drink mothers crowd" once in awhile. I have looked over while coaching and seen 4 or 5 of them (including my DW) with 4 thermoses and cups having a grand old time.

We'll see how it goes.

Jul 26, 2010
You are the parent of a pitcher. Follow the LAW of three L's.

Left Field.
Lawnchair.
Lemonaid.

I agree that if you MUST sit in the stands, keep score, and keep your mouth shut. Since you already have ego issues believing you're a good coach (I'm sure you are, but good coaches rarely admit this before admitting that they know absolutely nothing), you don't want to come off as "that guy" who is the annoying know it all second guessing everything that goes on in a youth softball game.

-W

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You are the parent of a pitcher. Follow the LAW of three L's.

I agree that if you MUST sit in the stands, keep score, and keep your mouth shut. Since you already have ego issues believing you're a good coach (I'm sure you are, but good coaches rarely admit this before admitting that they know absolutely nothing), you don't want to come off as "that guy" who is the annoying know it all second guessing everything that goes on in a youth softball game.

Keep mouth shut. Got it.

Actually I have always worried about being that parent so I have always been good when not coaching my kids (at other sports). Now I am more worried about my DW losing it one day.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Well it went well...

We only played one game due to rain out (that is a whole different story) so DD didn't get to pitch but was in the circle getting ready to start Game 2 right as the rain came down. The catcher had just thrown down to second base after the final warm up pitch when the skies opened up.

Helped that we played well in Game One though we lost 7-5 to probably one of the top 4 or 5 10U-A teams on the east coast. Not a bad effort for a team playing it's first real game together.

My DD went 1-1 with a hard hit double and a 10-pitch walk. She played second base where she took a great catch diving to her left and made all the plays she should make there (simple outs at first, covering on bunts, covering second when needed and getting in position for cutoff throws). About as well as I have seen her field actually.

Weirdly, the only time I felt really out of place was before the game (when I wasn't involved in warm ups) and also I always felt like I was missing something because I didn't have the cart full of equipment I lug around when I am coaching.

Next Sunday she will likely pitch game one which looks like it is going to be against a team she has beaten before - so hopefully that goes well also.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
3 L's my friend (lawnchair, lemonaid (red solo cup of course!), left field.....remember the sunflower seeds in case you need to yell.

I actually like CF, easier to watch the game in general.

Oct 10, 2011
Keep mouth shut. Got it.

Actually I have always worried about being that parent so I have always been good when not coaching my kids (at other sports). Now I am more worried about my DW losing it one day.

My DD is interested in Sports Psychology and we recently talked to someone in the field. He said, "as a parent, the number one thing you can do on game day is say, HAVE FUN." Don't talk technique or try to pump them up for the game etc... Let the coaches take care of everything. He even said in studies they found that the majority of kids hate their parents cheering during the game because it embarrasses them!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish