Dusty cleat diaries: MY rec dream is officially over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I think rec sports are a great thing for kids. They're perfect for having fun, staying active, and learning about a sport. But some kids are going to outgrow rec. Try not to be too sad; there are undoubtedly great new things ahead for your daughter!

Feb 3, 2011
I want us to focus on coach education in order to better serve the needs of our players and parents. I know we're all got our different challenges in the rec world. Out here, we have many former softball and baseball players who volunteer their time to coach these teams. Unfortunately, too many of them feel they've learned all they need to know and too few are willing to accept that successfully dealing with parents requires a degree of flexibility. We also had plenty of coach dads who only viewed the rec league as their personal farm system.

Of the 2 best coaches my DD had during her years, 1 was just a brilliant softball/baseball mind, while the other didn't know much softball, but knew a lot about teamwork and how to reach 9-10yo girls to get them to buy into the team concept.

I hope we can get enough active parents to really change the culture around here over the next several years, because several of us on the operational side already have a foot out the door.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
MomoDad - know exactly how you feel and it is people like you who care for and get involved all the girls - and not just their DD - that make rec and player development successful.

The BIGGEST impediment to rec softball improving is rec baseball. It's not the baseball itself. It's the baseball dads who run the programs. In most programs baseball usually dwarfs softball. Therefore, the baseball dads are the ones who end up on the boards of the programs. The boards turn over every few years as kids age out of the program and a fresh set of dads with the same mentality are now running things. The board is in a constant state of flux which is why you can't make any type of real changes to softball.

We solved this (kindof). Of our board of 15 there are 2 of us for softball and they now leave us alone (and we encourage this heavily) and they are happy to do so as long as we don't interfere with whatever the hell they are trying on the baseball side. We look at involvement as required for access to the fields and volume discounts on equipment and uniforms. We actually go the board meetings, make sure anything that effects us is discussed early and then leave once they start arguing about all stars and who is cheating who.

They started coming to us this year because softball registration is up 35% and baseball is down 25% and they wanted to now how we did it (and also they had to grudgingly give us an extra field). I will say I run softball as a bit of a dictatorship (with lots of input) but that works much better than the arguing committee approach.

In the end you just end up frustrated and walk away from rec and head to travel after feeling used, abused and unappreciated.

This is my last year of being involved in our rec league. I already feel used and abused... unappreciated has started to set in. This is also the last year DD will play rec because there is probably no division for her to 'play up' in any more after this season and I'll step aside for the next poor b&&&&&d willing to step up.

Nov 29, 2009
This is my last year of being involved in our rec league. I already feel used and abused... unappreciated has started to set in. This is also the last year DD will play rec because there is probably no division for her to 'play up' in any more after this season and I'll step aside for the next poor b&&&&&d willing to step up.

I know the feeling all to well. That's why I moved back to full time travel in a program that has everyone rowing in the same direction. As well meaning as your intentions are, once you leave, if you become involved with full time travel you'll wonder why didn't I do this sooner? I've been talking to a dad who's stuck being heavily involved with a rec league and is really regretting it this season despite my repeated warnings.

Apr 11, 2012
your time in the rec league sounds like it was well spent, providing great memories and a time in your life that was meaningful for you....but it's okay to move on and leave in the hands of the next person who can try and make it a better experience for parants and players....of course, the next smuck could bring it all crashing down too...but you have to think of your DD and tend to her needs because if you don't do it....who will?

But it also sounds like you are dissapointed that your DD (either momo or mojo...not quite sure) has evolved to another level and now you feel like you defected or joined the evil empire or something....it's okay buddy, it's just another chapter in your family's life....now your going to see some real softball and who knows....maybe someday your DD will next even a bigger step.

My DD started in rec ball and played 2 years....then C for a year....and then jumped right to A and eventually played her way to a very great, fully sponsorered TB A team and has 5 college offers already as a sophomore....the point is, don't feel bad that you and your DD want more from the game....it doesn't make you a quitter either....it means you are apparently smart enough to know that a league you help build, for all sorts of reasons, wasn't able to satisify either of you two and your DD anymore athletically and was ready to take a chance and really see how good she can be....

It's tough getting out of a "comfort zone"....but don't look back on your decision and just realize the TB is never going to replace your memories of a fond time in your life....but there will be new memories for sure and hopefully shining moments of accomplishments against tougher opponents...which, in the end, is what seemingly you are chasing for your DD....you did the right thing, as all things change eventually....good luck!

Dec 22, 2012
I'm going through the same transition right now. I love rec ball. I've given countless hours and dollars to help improve it, but the time has come for me to change as well. I have to do what's best for my daughter. I've made lots of friends during my time. I feel like I'm abandoning them but I keep telling myself, it's about my daughter and what's best for her.

Hang in there. It will be better in the end. It's the reality of the softball world that we must adjust to.

Jun 8, 2012
WV
Momo's Dad - I hear ya ! I love rec. league ball. I have the same passion you do. I'm hoping to make a huge difference this year in taking over the rec. league. I realize that I have a monumental task ahead of me, as the keeper of the rec. league does not want to let go of their grip - but they have had it for way to long and just as you said - many girls go to greener pastures. Many of ours have left because of league frustration and a lack of organization and a teensy bit of laziness on behalf of the league president. Many attempts were made last year to help out, but fell on deaf ears- I vow this year to make a real difference. If I don't succeed in obtaining the lease I need from the BOE, I will play my DD in a neighboring league or start my own local travel team- eek, Which I do not want to do.
I'm hoping to charter a little league organization. I feel overwhelmed, yet hopeful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish