Going to be the first time I have not coached my DD this weekend...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
For the past few years I have coached my DD's rec and travel teams and with the end of the last travel league the travel team decided to take some down time (we will be back in August) as rec finishes and summer vacation starts. 3 of the top 4 players on the team (my DD and two of her teammates) decided they wanted to play on through summer and also step up the level of competition by joining one of the very competitive 10U-A teams locally.

So this weekend will be the first time I have not been a coach when my daughter pitches or takes the field to play since her first season. Practices have been weird for me without actually being on the field. The team uses a professional coach for practices so that has been a very good experience so far (I told my DW there was no way I was turning over our DD to someone I didn't feel was a better coach than I am). Games are coached by the actual coaching staff.

My current plan:

- Before the game: Tell my daughter to pitch her game when she pitches, try her hardest and to do whatever the coaches ask of her (as she has always done for me)
- During the game: Sit in the stands and make supportive noises where appropriate and probably bite the hell out of my tongue. Maybe take some photos and video as the games progress

I have no idea whether my DD is going to do better with me there in the bleachers or will be better with me not in visual sight or whether she wont care or...

Honestly I think she is probably going to do better than I am.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
1st inning was rough for us, me yelling at her from the stands. Took a walk and told myself to enjoy the game, Smooth sailing after that though I do wish I could bring a paint ball gun to the game to shoot the coaches every once and a while.

The in game conferences are still rough, I am dying to hear what the coaches are telling her.

Her Team does not have strict dugout rules, she knows where to find me if she wants to.

The stands will occasional get a big smile from the field; you know who they are aimed at.

Yep, she will probably do better then you at first.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
We had to move our kids to a different community for lack of teams in our home league (rec). This is the 1st year that I won't be coaching either of my DDs. The 1st few practices were weird, but I think we'll both enjoy this year. It's so much more simple sitting on the outside of the fence.

I love coaching, but I'm going to be honest, I don't love coaching my kids. I love the time spent with them, but I've always been harder on mine than the other girls on the team. It might not be fair to them, but it's the only way I knew to coach my kids and not be seen as a daddy ball coach.

Sit back and enjoy being a parent this summer. That's my plan. :)

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Here's what I did when DD moved on to club ball and was coached by others (suggestions made older smarter parentsand implemented by dear old dad):
1. Buy a nice camera and be the "picture parent" - everyone loves get gets digitals of their DD.
2. Sit out in CF....few people can hear you mumble and see you pace.
3. When in need of yelling put a handful of sunflower seeds in your mouth. can't yell and crack seeds at the same time, you'll choke.

These all work. Occasionally I have to say soemthing to the DD (once so far this HS season) but I did it very quietly so to not get the "stink eye" from the coach.

Aug 2, 2008
My secret was, way down the baseline or outside of the outfield fence, camp chair, sunglasses, comfort food, cooler with lots of ice, Jack Daniels (well hidden), happy days :cool:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Over 2 years ago I stopped coaching DD. The best thing for ME was to keep score with iScore; it keeps me very busy. I am finally to the point where I can sit for a couple of innings without pacing.

The most difficult thing is to not yell instruction, but only yell encouragement (there is a huge difference!).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish