Can the batter move in the box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD had asked if she could bait the pitcher by setting up in the box (say crowding the plate) and then when pitcher was executing the windmill, shift her stance (creep away from plate in anticipation of the inside pitch) before the pitch was released.

I thought this sounded unusual but legal. Another coach thought it wasn't legal as he thought the batter needed to hold their position in the box from the time the pitcher starts hr windup until the pitch is delivered.

I still think it's ok but haven't found it in a rule book (yet) where this is addressed.

My guess would be I don't see why not since if the umpire, pitcher and catcher are all ready the batter does not have to be in the box. The batter could also be requesting a timeout and backing out of the box but not granted by the umpire at which point she can jump back in the box and try to hit the ball.

All that being I'll be quiet and let the experts answer.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Slappers move all the time. Some batters set up with the back foot on the line by the plate and the front foot towards the outside of the box. As the pitch comes in they step closer to the plate. The drag bunt also has the batter moving in the box.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Nothing in the ASA rulebook against it, as long as she stays in the box, she should be fine. Now, don't try going from one box to the other during her wind-up, as that IS in the rulebook (7-3-E).

Jun 24, 2013
You beat me to it. Slapping would become illegal. I think the only thing in the rule book is that the batter cannot switch boxes once the pitcher has taken the mound in order to disconcert the pitcher.
Also my DD's do this all the time by appearing to set up to attempt a hit to RF (putting front foot closer to plate) and then once the pitch begins moving her step to aim for LF, if the defense begins to shift.

Feb 7, 2013
Have you ever seen a slapper? She starts at the back of the box and is moving toward the pitcher during the wind-up and release of the ball. Of course its legal.

With that said, I don't recommend your DD shifting around too much in the box unless she is a slapper or drag bunter or squaring around to bunt because she may be off balance when the pitch arrives. I would be more subtle between pitches. If she is crowding the plate on the first pitch and gets an inside pitch, she can make a slight adjust to her distance from the plate. This happened to my DD this weekend. Pitcher was jamming our players inside (mostly set-up toes on the line since pitchers are working outside corner) so I had DD set-up a little more off the plate and was waiting on the inside pitch. Hit a double on first pitch. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I felt like my advice was helpful to her. :)

Jun 24, 2013
Batter can do whatever they want, if they do a headstand that is fine.

I cannot do a cartwheel so that would annoy me,

Jun 22, 2008
The batter could also be requesting a timeout and backing out of the box but not granted by the umpire at which point she can jump back in the box and try to hit the ball.

The batter may not leave the box, return and hit the ball. If they do they are out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach