Out of the batters box rule in High School (NFHS)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2019
Wrong mechanic if he's using NCAA.

Not sure what I am looking at or for ...

Exiting right of the catcher and leaving his mask on? Bad mechanic in any code.
MIB,

I believe he is referring to fact that a delayed dead ball was not called.

For others, in NCAA a batter with any portion of her foot outside the box (lines are in). The penalty is a delayed dead ball-strike, only an out if on strike 3. The defense gets a choice of the result of the play or the strike. So, no it was not a fantastic call if it was NCAA as the rule would have been applied incorrectly, as called.

Jul 27, 2021
MIB,

For others, in NCAA a batter with any portion of her foot outside the box (lines are in). The penalty is a delayed dead ball-strike, only an out if on strike 3. The defense gets a choice of the result of the play or the strike. So, no it was not a fantastic call if it was NCAA as the rule would have been applied incorrectly, as called.
Pretty big change from 2020/21 to 2022/23 rule book

2020-2021

11.2.5 At the moment of bat-ball contact, the batter may not contact the pitch when any part of her body is touching the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.
EFFECT— The ball is dead. The batter shall be declared out immediately, whether the ball is fair or foul.

11.15 Illegally Batted Ball An illegally batted ball occurs when the batter contacts the pitch and: 11.15.1 Any part of her body is touching the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The batter shall be declared out immediately, whether the ball is fair or foul. Each base runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

2022-2023

11.2.5 At the moment of bat-ball contact, the batter may not contact the pitch when any part of their body is touching home plate or the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.
EFFECT—Delayed dead ball is signaled. The coach of the defensive team shall choose either the result of the play or the standard effect for illegal contact, which is a strike on the batter and all base runners must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If it is the third strike, the batter is declared out.

11.15 Illegally Batted Ball An illegally batted ball occurs when the batter contacts the pitch and: 11.15.1 Any part of their body is touching home plate or the ground outside the lines of the batter’s bo.
EFFECT— Delayed dead ball is signaled. The coach of the defensive team shall choose either the result of the play or the standard effect for illegal contact, which is a strike on the batter and all base runners must return to the base legally occupied at the

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
MIB,

Not sure how you call a delayed dead ball on a foul ball ...

EDIT TO ADD: I have no problem tattling on myself. I did not know NCAA changed the penalty to a strike. IMO, that's almost as bad as eliminating the runner advancing on an illegal pitch.

Jan 30, 2019
Not sure how you call a delayed dead ball on a foul ball ...
That is easy, it's a delayed dead ball, and the defense gets to choose a strike on the batter from the out of box or a strike on the batter from the foul ball.

If there are 2 strikes then the choice is a strike from out of box, which is strike 3 and an out or a foul ball and the batter resumes.

If the ball is caught, then it is a choice between a strike and an out. It gets fun when the ball over foul territory is caught in deep outfield and a runner tags up, because now they can choose the out plus a run or a strike on the batter and all base runners return to the base at the time of the pitch. Unless there were 2 strikes then the choice is to take the strike on the batter, because you still get the out and the runner returns.

It was changed, to match the penalty of an illegal pitch. The rules committee thought the out was too steep when the defense wasn't penalized heavily for an illegal pitch anymore. The decided to go with a strike instead of adding in a base award again on the illegal pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles