Can the batter move in the box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
DD had asked if she could bait the pitcher by setting up in the box (say crowding the plate) and then when pitcher was executing the windmill, shift her stance (creep away from plate in anticipation of the inside pitch) before the pitch was released.

I thought this sounded unusual but legal. Another coach thought it wasn't legal as he thought the batter needed to hold their position in the box from the time the pitcher starts hr windup until the pitch is delivered.

I still think it's ok but haven't found it in a rule book (yet) where this is addressed.

There is nothing to find

Mar 2, 2013
The batter may not leave the box, return and hit the ball. If they do they are out.

Ya know, I don't think I ever really considered that. I think most of the time when a batter asks for time and I don't grant it, they either stay in the box or completely bail out and don't come back in. Though the intent of the rule is to prevent batters from going deep in the box and then running up, there is certainly rule support for calling the batter out if she pivots out with a foot and comes back in. I'll have to keep a closer eye on that. Good thing I have an automatic car starter because if I call a batter out after not granting time and not even calling a strike, but an out, I'm getting the hell out of there as soon as possible.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Though the intent of the rule is to prevent batters from going deep in the box and then running up

What rule is that? There is no rule restricting a batter's movement in the box

, there is certainly rule support for calling the batter out if she pivots out with a foot and comes back in. I'll have to keep a closer eye on that. Good thing I have an automatic car starter because if I call a batter out after not granting time and not even calling a strike, but an out, I'm getting the hell out of there as soon as possible.

Now I'm confused. Why would you call a strike if the ball is batted?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Slappers move in the box during the pitch, so why can't other batters? I would just caution your DD not to get caught in the middle of her "transition" by a fast pitcher!

Mar 2, 2013
What rule is that? There is no rule restricting a batter's movement in the box

Now I'm confused. Why would you call a strike if the ball is batted?

Deep out of the back of the batter's box, to clarify. And I wouldn't be calling a strike, "BUT AN OUT."

May 30, 2011
No but if batter asks for time that is not granted then bails out and F1 delivers a pitch.. it's gonna be a pretty big strike zone!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The rule simply states that the batter must be inside the box while batting... setting up deep, to induce a drop ball and then moving to the front of the box just before the pitch is one of my DD's favorite games to play with pitchers. :)

Jun 22, 2008
Why? Do you make up rules too when you don't like what the players do? A strike should be a strike.

Who said anything about making up any rules? If a batter bails before delivery of the pitch they have removed the top and bottom height reference for the umpire to judge the strike zone, and if that happens I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the pitcher.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach