Batter running to first on ball 3, runners 1st and 2nd. Interference in NFHS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Yes absolutely.

These are also the coaches who pretend they weren't really doing this and throw a huge tantrum when they get called out in a game for doing exactly what they know is wrong.
Say Marriard, what rule are they breaking? I used the unsportsmanlike rule, but that's the umpire interpretation. Is there a rule in the rulebook?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Say Marriard, what rule are they breaking? I used the unsportsmanlike rule, but that's the umpire interpretation. Is there a rule in the rulebook?

In USSSA I would absolutely start with Rule11.2.N
"N. Behaving in any manner not in accordance with the spirit of fair play"

There are some other rules I can use to support it, but you only need one. There is something similar in all rule sets.

As I said, the problem is that you can't write rules to cover every situation or attempted manipulation and you don't want to. It is already a long complex mess of rule sets, case books, manuals, etc, etc. I already have somewhere between 300-600 pages of rule related documentation for every sanction.

If enough idiots do something, that the rule committee or the head of officials feel the need to address; they will put a case play out versus a rule - i.e. an interpretation versus an actual rule which says which rule covers the situation and how they want you to call it.

Added: In every rule book in every sport there will be a rule that says that the official/umpire is the person who decides any situation that is not covered by the rule book. It is truly the very, very, very last resort and you NEVER want to use that if at all possible because the game is old and there is very little really new - the rule book can be used to cover 99.99999% of situations so as an official you always are looking to only apply the actual rules to what happened (a lot of times when good umpires get together it is to discuss 1) what actually happened and 2) what rule applies) . I don't think I have ever used the power to rule on a non-covered event in any sport on a play call - but it is there.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
sounds like a coach i wouldn't want DD to play for
Yeah, this coach is 100% a piece of garbage. Would be fine if people like him were banned for life from being withing 10 miles of youth sports. Guaranteed bad guy in most facets of his life. Good people don't do this.

Jul 31, 2015
Added: In every rule book in every sport there will be a rule that says that the official/umpire is the person who decides any situation that is not covered by the rule book. It is truly the very, very, very last resort and you NEVER want to use that if at all possible because the game is old and there is very little really new - the rule book can be used to cover 99.99999% of situations

Like the time a bird came between Randy Johnson's fastball and home plate, perhaps.

Seriously - is there softball (or baseball) rule that covers a pitch impeded in flight?

I know Johnson's FB was ruled 'no pitch' but have always wondered if there was something other than umpire discretion in making that call.

Anyone know?

Aug 8, 2016
I believe there is something in NFHS where a batter has to be ready to hit 10 seconds after pitcher receives the ball in the circle. A strike is called if they are not.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Like the time a bird came between Randy Johnson's fastball and home plate, perhaps.

Seriously - is there softball (or baseball) rule that covers a pitch impeded in flight?

I know Johnson's FB was ruled 'no pitch' but have always wondered if there was something other than umpire discretion in making that call.

Anyone know?

Umpires routinely call no pitch/dead ball for things on the field interfering with play or the umpires themselves. An easy example is a foul ball from another field, but it could be anything abnormal, including a bird hitting a pitched ball. Once, I saw an umpire call time because of swarm of bugs in his face.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Umpires routinely call no pitch/dead ball for things on the field interfering with play or the umpires themselves. An easy example is a foul ball from another field, but it could be anything abnormal, including a bird hitting a pitched ball. Once, I saw an umpire call time because of swarm of bugs in his face.

On every questionable call for the rest of the game:
Coaches, parents, everybody: Hey blue, are the bugs back?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478