Batter running to first on ball 3, runners 1st and 2nd. Interference in NFHS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
I saw an umpire call a third strike in college baseball this weekend for the batter stepping out of the box. The intent of the rule is not to delay the game. Running to first base on ball 3 is like stepping out of the box x 3. should be an out since all the players are supposed to know the count. why is only defense charged with knowing the count?

Nov 23, 2021
SC
“attempt to deceive the defense”,
How do you feel about a delayed steal, or batter fake bunt and runner stealing, or a hit and run call?

I got another great gimmick play to draw runners off base with only two outs, but the purists would have a cow.

Oct 14, 2019
Got to agree. Telling your pitcher to throw at a girl is even worse than cheating.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD travel ball team has this play, called by the coach. has worked every tournament and never been called for interference. They have a couple other trick plays too.

DaBears17 are you playing in the North Carolina area? Just wondering if its our coach?

We are on the other coast. My DD's team is on the lookout for this play now, which is good. When coaching I tend to get nitpicky about rules if it's a team that bends the rules like this.

May 20, 2015
“attempt to deceive the defense”,
How do you feel about a delayed steal, or batter fake bunt and runner stealing, or a hit and run call?

I got another great gimmick play to draw runners off base with only two outs, but the purists would have a cow.
What they are doing is against the rules

Fake bunt/steal, delayed steal, hit and run all involve legal base runners.

With 3 balls the batter is the batter; they have no legal right to transition to batter/runner….to run to first in an attempt to deceive the defense is against the rules, and this coach is intentionally coaching players to break the rules

Bush league, and as a fellow coach, I’d say outside the ethics of sound coaching

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
As an umpire I’d let it go once, maybe twice with a warning, but if it happened a third time, I’d throw the player and coach out for unsportsmanlike conduct
Yep... And the coach goes as well if it goes that far. More restricted to bench than ejection.

I do the same - if there is no clear intent, you have to let it go. But you can warn the coach.

It is hard to prove intent - but repetition is a really good sign. Around here coaches doing stupid stuff gets around pretty quick and the umpires gossip pretty hard. We have been told a couple of times to clamp down on certain behaviors from certain coaches,

And the reason the rule book is so long and complicated is because of coaches like this trying to 'take advantage' or 'find a loophole' and so on. So many rules exist because they had to legislate some #*(#*@( being a !(@#!#&!(

May 20, 2015
Yep... And the coach goes as well if it goes that far. More restricted to bench than ejection.

I do the same - if there is no clear intent, you have to let it go. But you can warn the coach.

It is hard to prove intent - but repetition is a really good sign. Around here coaches doing stupid stuff gets around pretty quick and the umpires gossip pretty hard. We have been told a couple of times to clamp down on certain behaviors from certain coaches,

And the reason the rule book is so long and complicated is because of coaches like this trying to 'take advantage' or 'find a loophole' and so on. So many rules exist because they had to legislate some #*(#*@( being a !(@#!#&!(

but a coach that we KNOW coaches this play is showing intent.....so while calling it in a game is iffy, this coach is clearly coaching his team to break the rules, yes?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
but a coach that we KNOW coaches this play is showing intent.....so while calling it in a game is iffy, this coach is clearly coaching his team to break the rules, yes?
Yes absolutely.

These are also the coaches who pretend they weren't really doing this and throw a huge tantrum when they get called out in a game for doing exactly what they know is wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812