Can a violinist teach a pitcher how to train?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use that analogy all of the time. I played a few instruments in HS and college. To even stay on the radar took 30 minutes a day, as a grade schooler, and an hour a day with an instructor, as you get up towards MS. Also, some natural athletes can be passed by a kid that has some ability and just "wants it." No one made me practice, I had to want to do it.

The kids that want "it" will be throwing a sock, or throwing into a mat, or will be up an hour early to run, etc. I can push a team to be better, but I can't pull them to success. That has to come from them.

Nov 29, 2009
I read an interview a long time ago with one of the best guitar players in the world. During the interview he was asked why he practiced every day. His response was if he missed one day he would know. If he missed two days his wife would know. If he missed 3 days his friends would know. If he missed 4 days EVERYONE would know.

I always ask the girls I work with "What does practice make?" and I almost always get back the standard, "Perfect." answer. When I tell them that's a lie they look at me like I have three heads. Then I tell them practice makes permanent. After they take a few seconds to digest it you can see the realization come to light on their faces. It's great when they take it to heart.

Jul 26, 2010
I grew up playing music, and made a run of it as a career before going back to school. I played every day (and still play almost every day) because I loved it, even when the fingers were bleeding. That's why it is so easy to sound aloof and say, "I know what dedication looks like and what practice looks like", because I do, and everyone else who has really loved doing something knows exactly what it takes and what it looks like.

Kids can fool a parent that never achieved anything on their own, but they can't fool anyone who has.

-W

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I heard one time that Jimi Hendrix would wake up and pick up his guitar, and put it down when he went to bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild