Cf8 vs 2020 CF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2024
So in the process of picking up 3 used bats for my daughter to try over the course of the last 2 seasons we stumbled into a good deal on a 2020 CF which she likes. I wish I had read more about Demarini first and had tracked down a cf8 to try based on the hype. Now my question is will there be much difference between the 2020 and the cf8 in terms of pop? Basically, is there enough difference in pop or can I stop stalking FB marketplace for a while? Lol.

Jun 6, 2018
So in the process of picking up 3 used bats for my daughter to try over the course of the last 2 seasons we stumbled into a good deal on a 2020 CF which she likes. I wish I had read more about Demarini first and had tracked down a cf8 to try based on the hype. Now my question is will there be much difference between the 2020 and the cf8 in terms of pop? Basically, is there enough difference in pop or can I stop stalking FB marketplace for a while? Lol.
Size and drop? The drop 11 in smaller sizes (29-32) were rocket launchers. The CF8 drop 10 was still awesome but a tick less than drop 11's. There was a considerable difference between the CF8 and 2020. The 2020 has zero pop in my opinion, and to be honest that is definitely when the Ghost took over the sport and the main reason was because demarini's bats became the bottom of the barrel in performance. so i would expect you to find a lot of barely used or even new 2020's out there. Let them be, smile and move on.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Daughter has been swinging Demarini CFs for 10 years. Drop 10 for the last 8 years. Can't go wrong, unless there are too many swings on it. You can definitely tell when it's dead.

Mar 7, 2024
Size and drop? The drop 11 in smaller sizes (29-32) were rocket launchers. The CF8 drop 10 was still awesome but a tick less than drop 11's. There was a considerable difference between the CF8 and 2020. The 2020 has zero pop in my opinion, and to be honest that is definitely when the Ghost took over the sport and the main reason was because demarini's bats became the bottom of the barrel in performance. so i would expect you to find a lot of barely used or even new 2020's out there. Let them be, smile and move on.
We picked up a 30" -11 CF 2020 just to have a backup for her ghost and also to just try stuff out.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
Agreed. Found a good deal on a new 2020 last year and pulled the trigger. DD liked it until she swung a Ghost and saw how the ball jumped off the bat significantly more. CF is now her cage and cold weather bat.

Mar 7, 2024
I just assumed the Ghost took over because they're so hot out of the wrapper. I feel like it's harder for young kids to put some work on these bats to break them in. I admittedly put some swings on the kid's RXT to get it going.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I just assumed the Ghost took over because they're so hot out of the wrapper. I feel like it's harder for young kids to put some work on these bats to break them in. I admittedly put some swings on the kid's RXT to get it going.
They took over because of the sound. No other bat had that crack off the bat. Often times, it's deceptive, especially in the cage. The ball sounds like it's going 250' off the bat, but it's a pop up to second base. Are they hot out of the wrapper? Yes, but breaking in a bat takes 30 minutes and a few buckets of balls. Anyone unwilling to take the time to follow the manufacturer's instructions is just lazy.

Also, that 2020 CF in gray and purple was the least popular one we've ever had. For whatever reason, it just never seemed to have the same pop as it's predecessors and follow-up models.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Its because CFs have no inner tech...so the composite is way thicker than Ghosts or LXTs. So they are turds until you put a ton of swings
on them. They are def not hot out of the wrapper. If they made the composite super thin, it would fail standards in nanoseconds.

Aug 5, 2022
DD loved the CFs until the 2020 then ended up with an fnx and now lxt….she does think the newest blue lxt has more pop than the red from last year but she’s a weirdo that never liked the ghost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles