can a glove be too broken in (ie floppy), and also glove won't open

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
my older DD has been using same glove for 4 years now (no TB, just little league softball), glove is now really soft, little floppy actually. I have seen her miss a few catches where the ball was thrown hard, and it appears to bend the fingers back and kind continue on out of the glove.

time for new glove? regular season just about to start, hate the idea of her using brand new glove at start of season. I was also hoping to pass this glove down to her sister sometime (3 yrs younger, currently using a glove 1.5" smaller than older sister).

another issue, player on my younger DDs team that I coach (little leage minors, 10u), never played before, seems to have trouble opening glove up. glove almost appears to be folder in half at the pocket like piece of paper (fingers seem to be foldeer over very close to thumb ). was thinking of telling her dad to sit down one night and turn glove inside out over and over, and possibly store that way, or put flat under mattress, to try and get it to open up. girl has a lot of natural ability, so want to help her out as much as possible. good idea, bad idea? other ideas? glove also seems a little big, but do not want to tell parents to go spend more money for first year player.

maybe I get older DD new glove, pass hers down to younger DD (on her team no one throws nearly as hard as on older DDs team, she is playing juniors, (12-14 yos)), loan out younger Dds old glove to this girl (it is nice and soft and floppy as well).

Oct 10, 2011
What glove is it? If it's a good quality glove, it might just need a little work on it. DD's glove got floppy and we found out it had a broken thumb stay so we had it repaired.

May 6, 2015
probably cost more to repair it that we paid for it, since our DDs had tendency to lose things, and we figured they would each only use for a couple of years, we went pretty cheap., and it seems to be fingers that bend back, not thumb.

gonna "invest" in new glove I think (still not spending a lot, her primary sport is field hockey, she plays goal, spend enough $$$ there as it is), get her to start breaking it in, might also go up an inch. she started with this gloves with 11"s, now she plays 12"s

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
BretMan on this site repairs gloves. I've heard only great things. He repaired a glove for a parent on my team. It was his old glove he used when he played men's fastpitch in the late 80's. Not sure of the turnaround.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Could a lot of that give in the top be fixed by simply pulling the laces tight again? My oldest DD's glove gets pretty loose and all I do is re-tighten the laces and she's good to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06