Bustos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Crystal Bustos was a great hitter, but she is top 0.01% in size and strength, so it may be difficult for others to replicate her success with the same swing. It would be like trying to teach your DD who is 5'2", to replicate the pitching motion of Cat Osterman, who is 6'3", and expect similar results.

While Bustos did use her mass to her advantage, her actual game swing shares a lot of commonalities relative to the best hitters in the game.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have been interested in the Bustos clip since I first saw it. First of all, I have a tremendous amount of respect for her and her accomplishments. And while I am not part of the Howard camp, it is clear that he has had a great deal of success with his students. That said, I am not a fan of the mechanics shown in this particular clip. However, there are a number of potential reasons for its existence.

1) Does she truly believe that this is what happens in her swing?
2) Is she utilizing this as an exaggeration of a certain action? Basically a drill of sorts? For example, I know some people like using the one-legged drill, but I have yet to see someone use it in a game situation.
3) Is she demonstrating what not to do?

Since I have not seen the video, I do not have the context behind the video, so it would not be fair for me to comment too much. It would be helpful to understand the context she used when producing the clip.

A1: IMO Bustos is teaching what she has seen taught. She may not understand her own swing as well as many wish she did.
A2: IMO Bustos is drawing an analogy to what she considers a similar activity. Unfortunately her understanding of that other activity misses the mark. She also forgot to make some important changes in the transfer of information to hitting.
A3: She is NOT demonstrating what "not to do".

May 4, 2012
Mann, IMO you should seek verification via the Hanson Principle before deciding if you like the clip you posted.

Just a thought mind you.

You won't find game swings of MLB players with this swing. You won't find game swings of Bustos with this swing. Welcome you proving me wrong on that.

I think she just hangs out with slackers like Pedroia and Braun - Start about the 30 sec mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcF9cp82QVE

It's a "feel" thang

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
A1: IMO Bustos is teaching what she has seen taught. She may not understand her own swing as well as many wish she did.
A2: IMO Bustos is drawing an analogy to what she considers a similar activity. Unfortunately her understanding of that other activity misses the mark. She also forgot to make some important changes in the transfer of information to hitting.
A3: She is NOT demonstrating what "not to do".

Is it possible to be such a great hitter, and not understand how you are doing it? Do most good/great hitters understand their own mechanics. Or is it just beat into them over thousands of swings

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yes.

Not sure how many do or don't.

Yes.

BTW Mr Bass, congratulations and thank you very much. If only we'd known the solution sooner.....

ETA - not trying to be a wise*** in this thread as my post relates to another thread

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It's odd that hitting can be so technical, but you don't have to know what you are doing. Makes my head hurt??

There's something to be said for the "Don't think, Meat" approach at the plate, but it doesn't translate nearly as well to those teaching how to swing!

Sep 17, 2009
Mann, I've seen your video hitting the bag. You don't work to a contact point or create whip way out front the way Bustos does in that clip. Not sure why you'd say you do. You need to Hanson Principal yourself, lol :)

satswingwhamgif-M.gif

I've also seen fastpitch hitting coaches teach a style that DOES involve training a hand push and an out front whip -- and be successful with it (one local and very successful program in particular). But it's a different type of swing than what we most often talk about here.

And the even stranger thing is that the swing it creates, and the mechanic that Bustos is demonstrating, doesn't lead to HER type of swing. Which is what I would imagine most people would buy her video for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55