Bustos

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann - Looking at the clip, I wonder how the hitter can see the flight of the ball effectively with the lead arm obscuring her view. There is also the knob-push move that many people think is not part of a good swing pattern. Do you see a problem with either of these two issues?

Both good points. This is why I started the thread here.

I like the movements. Knob push, push, extension while still loaded happens. There is push, whether people like it or not.

Really redhot?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Both good points. This is why I started the thread here.

I like the movements. Knob push, push, extension while still loaded happens. There is push, whether people like it or not.

Really redhot?

To each, their own, I guess. If this is what you want to teach, that's your choice.

I'm with RHC. As I stated before, I'm not teaching kids how to hit a ball above their neck.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Braun does it with his clip, working hands.

I would love to hear from her, maybe she has a swing thought she might be working on. Just trying to stay positive.

Really? Braun drags the hands forward, with the rear arm near vertical out front, and then pushes the barrel? Can I see this clip please? Any other game clips with this swing?

I hear you about keeping things positive ..... but how many kids are you willing to hurt in the process .... and just how is that an overall positive?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Braun does it with his clip, working hands.

I would love to hear from her, maybe she has a swing thought she might be working on. Just trying to stay positive.

I guess that's part of the issue. No one has been able/willing to describe the context of the Bustos clip. Maybe...just maybe...it makes sense within the context of the entire demonstration/drill. Without that context, all we can go by is what we see, and what I see is not something I would be likely to teach.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Really? Braun drags the hands forward, with the rear arm near vertical out front, and then pushes the barrel? Can I see this clip please? Any other game clips with this swing?

I hear you about keeping things positive ..... but how many kids are you willing to hurt in the process .... and just how is that an overall positive?

He works hands without lower, but im sure you know I what I mean.

I teach not to hit balls above their necks, but I do work on high pitches and keeping their hands above the ball, so if I let one slip high, I want their hands up yes. connection drill.

Eric that's why I started the thread, I want to know also, without derailing threads over the same cr%%p, for years, like Five says.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
He works hands without lower, but im sure you know I what I mean.

I teach not to hit balls above their necks, but I do work on high pitches and keeping their hands above the ball, so if I let one slip high, I want their hands up yes. connection drill.

I see, you are speaking of Braun's warm-up sequence where he first works his hands and then adds the lower body. You do realize that Bustos isn't doing that .... right? She isn't using her hands "here" ..... but she does in her normal game-swing.

I'm glad you clarified that you do not teach hitting of balls above the neck. I'm all for the notion of "attacking from the top". That isn't what is going on here though.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hanson Principle:
Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Crystal Bustos was a great hitter, but she is top 0.01% in size and strength, so it may be difficult for others to replicate her success with the same swing. It would be like trying to teach your DD who is 5'2", to replicate the pitching motion of Cat Osterman, who is 6'3", and expect similar results.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have been interested in the Bustos clip since I first saw it. First of all, I have a tremendous amount of respect for her and her accomplishments. And while I am not part of the Howard camp, it is clear that he has had a great deal of success with his students. That said, I am not a fan of the mechanics shown in this particular clip. However, there are a number of potential reasons for its existence.

1) Does she truly believe that this is what happens in her swing?
2) Is she utilizing this as an exaggeration of a certain action? Basically a drill of sorts? For example, I know some people like using the one-legged drill, but I have yet to see someone use it in a game situation.
3) Is she demonstrating what not to do?

Since I have not seen the video, I do not have the context behind the video, so it would not be fair for me to comment too much. It would be helpful to understand the context she used when producing the clip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse