Broken Finger

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
So my 12U DD broke her middle pitching finger...she will be unable to pitch for 8-10 weeks due to the type of fracture it is. Looking for drills that can she do in the meantime to keep in shape without having to actually grip a softball. Any suggestions?

Question 2: Is there any rule against pitching with a splint on her finger once she's able to start throwing again?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
First, let me qualify this by saying I'm not a doctor nor a pitching guru but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Consult with your physician before trying to do anything hand/arm related such as arm whip. This may cause further injury depending on the type of break and could put your DD out of action even longer. That being said, I see no reason whatsoever that she couldn't work on core strengthening and exercises for her legs to get more explosion/push.

Jun 1, 2013
Even though her finger is broke and you won't be able to pitch any. Have her working in the cage some still. One handed drills to keep her eyes sharp.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is 12. She could possibly come back stronger than ever. Take her to some HS and college games and she will be good to go. No, she cannot wear anything on her pitching hand, in a game.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As mentioned work the lower body. I would also work on what is between her ears. If she was my player she would be on a bucket next to me charting pitches, signalling pitches/plays, and learning more about the game. After game she would calculate first pitch strike percentage and other information. Under no circumstance would I let her turn her arm over until she was completely cleared by the Doc.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Thanks all. Just looking for some ideas for how to keep the mechanics sharp and possibly not lose any arm strength until she can pitch again.

The orthopedic surgeon says she can do anything she wants up to her pain threshold. She has worked out with the team and can throw without much pain except on long toss. She will be playing once the season starts, just not pitching, if the splint is a rule violation.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It would not hurt to ask the tournament directors, I could see them making an exception for your DD but it would be hit or miss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish