Bit of Dilema - Could use opinions!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

SoftballMomof2

Softball Mom
Aug 16, 2010
Hey everyone - I am new here!

Both my DD's play travel ball - 10U - My oldest has 1 year of 10U left. She a very talented player(not being biased) and she pitches as well. She lives and breathes softball. She has been playing on the same team for the past 2 seasons however this year we had a new coach. My youngest is very athletic but wants to take fallball off which is completely fine, not pushy at all.

We had some issues with out current team, and I know there will be issues wherever you play. However I don't know if having that mentality is reason enough to stay somewhere where you know things will NOT change.

1) Coach played obvious favorites with own child all season. This is a big issue for me. I've coached my kids as well as I have been coached til HS by my parents and my parents were hard on me and sat me when I had an attitude etc. With that being said I know sometimes it is tricky to coach your own kid.

2) Team is not competitive like it was last year. Coach invited his DDs friend on the team that have NEVER played and it showed. My Oldest DD wants to compete against the best of the best.

3) My daughter pitched every inning of every game except 3, and we played near 50 reg season games. She loves to pitch, but she wants to get a chance to play other positions and that was not an option as this year she was our only "SOLID" pitcher.

We had some other major problems that were more UN-ETHICAL but I wont go into that - but will just say there are many unhappy parents.

We found a team that we feel may be a PERFECT fit. My DD and another girl on our team went to tryouts and made the team. It is a 10A team and they did VERY well this year. They have experienced coaches that played professionally, know the game, are very competitive and serious.... Everything about this team feel great! We went to tryouts and then practiced after wards with them. Even the intensity of the practice was 10X better and my DD loved it. She wants to join this team and wants nothing to do with her old team(like I said, hard feelings, unethical issues etc)....

Now with all that being said I feel like I am OBLIGATED to stay with the current team. I feel like I owe it to the coach, like maybe I am throwing the coach under the bus way too soon. Not giving the coach a fair second chance etc. Her current team plans on playing B/C tourneys, up to 8 including state.

The new team plans on playing fall ball, including 1 out of state fall ball tourney, and 10 to 12 reg season tourneys plus nationals.

Opinions -
What would you do?
Stay or go to the New team?
Am I wrong to move to a new team?
Do I owe the current coach to stay there?

Hmmm - Confused!
SoftballMomof2

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
This is a GAME. It should be fun. GO and play where your kid will be happy and get playing time.
You have no obligation to continue with this team if your season is over and you have fulfilled your commitment.

Apr 13, 2010
This is a GAME. It should be fun. GO and play where your kid will be happy and get playing time.
You have no obligation to continue with this team if your season is over and you have fulfilled your commitment.

Correct. Life is too short. You have no obligations to any one once the season is over.

Oct 18, 2009
There's a lot to say about this but to make it short... girls leave teams all the time. Even if you were happy how he ran it and he was a great coach it sounds like your daughter has outgrown this team and needs to develop. You are the only one who has the best interests in mind for your DD. Unless you have made a commitment to play for him next year; you really don't need to stay there. Even if you did already commit; its still early enough for him to develop another pitcher and you should probably leave anyway as your DD probably needs to move up a level in play.

What would you do? Stay or go to the New team? Go to the new team
Am I wrong to move to a new team? No
Do I owe the current coach to stay there? No

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As soon as you said how many games she pitched, I knew you should leave. That guy knows nothing about pitching. Maybe the games were spread out, but she still needed some help at her age, or at any age.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Coach played obvious favorites with own child all season.

Wow...couldn't see that one coming.

I feel like I owe it to the coach, like maybe I am throwing the coach under the bus way too soon.

After the season is over, not at all.

You commit to a team for a season. You don't quit in the middle of the season unless the coach turns out to be Jack the Ripper.

After the season, you evaluate your experience. If it is a good one, then you stay with the team. If it isn't, then you move on.

You should always, always, ALWAYS be aware that the grass isn't always greener over the hill. Sometimes it isn't, sometimes it is, and sometimes it is greener because the grass is growing in a six inch layer of cow dung.

May 25, 2010
sometimes it is greener because the grass is growing in a six inch layer of cow dung.

LOL! Hadn't heard that one before, but will file it away for future - and frequent - use.

Agreed with Amy, too...sounds like too much pitching work for one player.

You're welcome to stay and help coach the current team, but based on what you stated, your daughter wants and needs to move up to the 10A team.

Good luck to you all!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Dude, you WANT to play for the new team. You DONT want to play for the old team. You know what the right choice is. Go, have fun, never look back. Dont ever let someone else hold your DD back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez