Big 10 Votes To Cancel Fall Sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
There are probably some borderline kids that needed their senior year to earn a scholarship that are going to lose that opportunity.

I feel bad that they're losing their seasons, although spring football is a possibility.

As far as the scholarships, the lack of high school football won't affect the number of scholarships awarded. It just affects who's going where since scouting won't be as accurate. But I figure the cream will rise to the top. Player who might've gone to Auburn might to to Tennessee Tech (or vice-versa), but it will sort itself out when they start playing.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Totally agree. I had to laugh yesterday when I saw one of the crawls on TV mention that rules were agreed at a university that no keg parties would be allowed. Yeah good luck on that one.
For sure. Professor 👾 count = 101. Student :geek: count = 10

Jun 16, 2010
I feel bad that they're losing their seasons, although spring football is a possibility.

As far as the scholarships, the lack of high school football won't affect the number of scholarships awarded. It just affects who's going where since scouting won't be as accurate. But I figure the cream will rise to the top. Player who might've gone to Auburn might to to Tennessee Tech (or vice-versa), but it will sort itself out when they start playing.

If ncaa dont play......a lot of athletes will get another year of eligibility. Wont be any scholarships available for hs students

People exposing themselves to virus....thru own choices....is fifferent than someone else requiring them to participate in risky activity

Mar 4, 2015
New England
If ncaa dont play......a lot of athletes will get another year of eligibility. Wont be any scholarships available for hs students

People exposing themselves to virus....thru own choices....is fifferent than someone else requiring them to participate in risky activity

Yes, this could lead to a logjam at the college level. Remains to be seen how significant that will be. Some athletes aren't going to want another year if they're graduating. But that's being caused by colleges not playing, not because high schools aren't playing. I was talking about the HS piece of it.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
The football decision seems to be being driven more by the concerns over post-COVID myocarditis. This is what is scaring the presidents and chancellors. It isn't healthy 20 year olds getting COVID. It is health 20 year olds dying of myocarditis after getting COVID.

Jun 26, 2020
Thought i've read that the smaller schools actually lose money on football, once you get out of the top 10 or 12 conferences.
They do lose money, but not a ton of money. Getting large payouts is huge for them. Also getting some TV money helps as well. Playing only in conference games is a death knell to small schools. Big schools subsidize small schools

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
They do lose money, but not a ton of money. Getting large payouts is huge for them. Also getting some TV money helps as well. Playing only in conference games is a death knell to small schools. Big schools subsidize small schools

This is why LSU tries to have one state school in their out of conference schedule. Theyd rather keep the money in state if possible bc it pretty much makes their athletic budget for the year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06