Big 10 Votes To Cancel Fall Sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Totally agree. I had to laugh yesterday when I saw one of the crawls on TV mention that rules were agreed at a university that no keg parties would be allowed. Yeah good luck on that one.
I'm with you, except I could see some power hungry governors banning sales of beer in kegs to stem all the parties popping up and Airbnb rentals turning into makeshift nightclubs.

May 20, 2016
The trickle down will be staggering especially for smaller schools.
Thought i've read that the smaller schools actually lose money on football, once you get out of the top 10 or 12 conferences. Personally i think they are just going to play in the spring. Maybe an abbreviated bowl season. Only ones it hurts are the few going to the NFL and by percentage it is just a fraction of the overall count of student athletes.

Feb 20, 2020
New reports are this hasn’t actually happened yet. Doesn’t mean it won’t, or they haven’t discussed it, but the Big 10 is saying no vote had occurred.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I feel bad for HS football players more than anyone. Pretty much every other sport has some type of travel/select teams. There are probably some borderline kids that needed their senior year to earn a scholarship that are going to lose that opportunity.

Jun 26, 2020
I'm with you, except I could see some power hungry governors banning sales of beer in kegs to stem all the parties popping up and Airbnb rentals turning into makeshift nightclubs.
Politicians love us.

If I were Governor I would ban cars and motorcycles so I couldn't get to the party. Girls, bologna sandwiches, ramen noodles, condoms, sororities, fraternities, and part time jobs.

Jun 26, 2020
Oh and skateboards. My coach would cuss me out everytime he would see me on one. When my lookouts told me the coast was clear that was my preferred method of transportation to parties

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
I feel bad for HS football players more than anyone. Pretty much every other sport has some type of travel/select teams. There are probably some borderline kids that needed their senior year to earn a scholarship that are going to lose that opportunity.

A lot of film is currently being gathered at camps since thats all college coaches have to go on right now. The football camp circuit is a huge money maker for those that got in on it early.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
New reports are this hasn’t actually happened yet. Doesn’t mean it won’t, or they haven’t discussed it, but the Big 10 is saying no vote had occurred.

From what I just read, they will announce the vote tomorrow and are hoping that other conferences follow their decision as well. Article also mentioned the Pac 12 doing the same thing with moving fall sports to the spring.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
My sources tell me that it's a done deal but take that for what it's worth. Sounds like they are upset that they got scooped. Nothing is a secret these days

That said the decision has not been made only voted on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA