Battin Out-of-order question...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
You last 2 guys, PGSAKen and Ajaywill, have forced me to read again on what is correct for ASA.

If B2 - batting OOO - is put out on the play (let's say she strikes out) and the OOO was properly appealed, then B1 is ruled out for failing to bat in her correct spot in the lineup.

B2 struck out, so we're up to 2 outs for 1 batter.

Since B2 was properly retired, and has to bat again, does this mean that we could conceivably record 3 outs with only a single player entering the batter's box in one inning??

Jun 22, 2008
I don't believe B2 would be batting again since she struck out, the next batter would be B3 with 2 outs

ASA 7-2-D Exceptions C. The next batter is the players whos name follows that of the player called out for failing to bat.

As already stated B2 would be the next batter. Under ASA rules you are essentially getting 2 outs on B1. One for batting out of order, and another for the put out by the defense. Remember, by the batting order it is not technically B2 at bat, it is B1.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
PLAY: No outs, no runers on base. B1 is due up, B2 bats. B2 hits ground ball to F6 and is thrown out at first base, defense properly appeals the batting out of order.

ASA ruling: B1 is out for failing to bat in her proper spot, the out made by B2 stands, two outs, B2 bats.

In this note from the ASA March 2010 Plays and Clarifications it says

Any outs made because of the improper batting stand. The next batter to bat would be the player whose name follows that of the batter who was declared out for not batting in proper order with one exception. The exception would be if the incorrect batter is called out as a result of their time at bat and is the next scheduled batter. Simply skip them in the batting order as they have already been credited with an out, and the next person in the line-up would be the next batter.​

I think in the situation you described, the exception applies: the incorrect batter (B2) is out as a result of their time at bat, so she is skipped and it is B3's turn at bat.

Jun 22, 2008
I had forgotten about that clarification. Per the exact wording of the rules, B2 would still be at bat. But, yes the clarification indicates B3 2ould be up.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild