bat selection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2012
I am looking for some input on a new bat. My DD is moving up from 8u coach pitch TB to 10u fastpitch TB. She has been swinging a 30/20 easton stealth great against coach pitch. Should I take her down to a 30/18 in fastpitch. Im afraid she may struggle to get the 30/20 around quick enough against a fast pitcher. She's 4'6, about 70 lbs. Also,any input on the new miken freak nxt light?

Dec 11, 2010
You'll get many opinions on this, but for now I say stick with what she has unless it is already apparent that the bat is too heavy. That's a pretty big bat but if she is already swinging it it may be fine.

-10 is a good drop. -12 is famous for stinging hands, especially with machine balls. Plus, isn't the stealth end loaded? Big change to throw at her. If I was going to change bats it would be to a shorter -10 or -11.

Good way to tell is to pitch her wiffle balls from behind a pitchers screen from 15-20 feet away. The short distance will simulate speed. Bet you'll be surprised how well she swings the bat she is using. ww

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Might be a little big but it is close so I would take her to a cage a few times and she how she does. Depending on your area try about 45 mph and see how she looks.

Someone posted this link, seems like a good deal and close to what you would be looking for if you think you might need to make a change:

Sale! Buy Easton Synge SRV6B Fastpitch Softball -11.5oz Bat 2010 REVIEWS: FREE SHIPPING Length/Weight 34/21.5 inch/oz 30/18.5 inch/oz 31/19.5 inch/oz 32/20.5 inch/oz 33/21.5 inch/oz Drop Drop-11.5 inch/oz 99-Cent Bat Offer No, thanks EASTON Reflex SX

Jan 23, 2012
Ok. If we decide to stay with the drop 10, whats the best bat out there right now. Ive heard alot about the xeno, cf5, and her TB coach's favorite- easton stealth(purple and white). I dont know alot about the technical side of bats. Im sure they all have their pros and cons. Thanks for the advice.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If she is doing well with the SSR3B (a really nice bat for a 9 year old!), I would save your money and get her hitting lessons. I think she would take a step backwards going to a lighter bat unless she is really struggling.

Dec 11, 2010
If she is doing well with the SSR3B (a really nice bat for a 9 year old!), I would save your money and get her hitting lessons. I think she would take a step backwards going to a lighter bat unless she is really struggling.

Could not agree more.

My only questions are : "Is it end loaded" and "Does that work for her". My DD is nine and swings a -9 end loaded Rockettech, not because I planned it that way but because her older sister used it. I got lucky because she has good hand path and form that allows her to swing an end loaded bat.

Balanced bats in my opinion are more forgiving to swing flaws, are more "adjustable" for the girl to hit pitches with movement and it is easier to find a cheap balanced practice bat for machine balls, cold weather etc. Again, JMHO. I JUST got my older daughter talked out of an end loaded Demarini Insane and into a balanced CF5. The difference was immediate and positive for her. She doesn't have the good hand path the younger one does I think. )

All of the bats you mentioned are top tier, you can't go wrong with any of them. They are all really good. It's the singer, not the song! Lessons and practice are where its at! ww

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
She's moving from advanced t-ball to real fastpitch. If the pitching is any good at all, I think she'll want a lighter bat. You can get a new Stealth for $100-125, but a 30/20 is too much bat for most girls her size. Maybe she could try out a 29/19 or even 28/18.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would wait and see how she does. I suspect that she already has the correct bat. I would never buy a -11 and -12 bat, but that is just my opinion.

I agree, that hitting lessons would be a better investment.

Jan 23, 2012
Thats kinda what im worried about. Dont get me wrong, her 8u TB coach pitched hard and flat to the girls, no lollipops. He pitched faster than any other opposing team to get them ready for real fastpitch. And I know that theyre probably not gonna see alot of great pitching as first year 10s. But she's always had good mechanics, quick hands, nice rotation. I just dont want her going the wrong direction if she happens to come against some real strong pitching. Thanks again for all the advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32