Another bat size post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2020
I've searched the forums and read most posts about proper bat size, but I am still struggling with what to go with for my daughter! She is about 5', 105lbs, first season 12u. For most of machine pitch and 10u, she used a 30/20 Vendetta. She is 4 hole solid hitter. When she began struggling recently, mostly hitting dribblers, I assumed her bat was dead. We then purchased (and subsequently sold) a 31/21 CF. Same results. Tried a teammate's bat for a couple weekends, 29/18 Demarini, and she starts smashing the ball again. The smaller bat yielded the results we wanted, especially for nationals, but I know it's too small. She's in hitting lessons. How do you balance results while in the process of fixing mechanics? I'm leaning towards purchasing a 31/20 this time around. Because a 30/19 is still too small, right?? Her hitting coach says she would really like her to be swinging a 32/22, but I don't see that working at all. Help!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016
Different bats work for different kids. DD is 18 years old 6' 150 lbs. She is considered a power hitter. Her go to bat was a 4 or 5 year old CF 32 drop 11. It finally broke in her next to last tournament this summer. Everyone on the team wanted give her a hard time about her bat size but couldn't because of the results she had with the bat. Every time she tried a new bat she hated it and the coach asked why she would use anything else. Nothing else worked as well in her hands. Luckily she had been trying an advanced ghost 33 drop 10 and finally found a bat she liked to swing.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I've searched the forums and read most posts about proper bat size, but I am still struggling with what to go with for my daughter! She is about 5', 105lbs, first season 12u. For most of machine pitch and 10u, she used a 30/20 Vendetta. She is 4 hole solid hitter. When she began struggling recently, mostly hitting dribblers, I assumed her bat was dead. We then purchased (and subsequently sold) a 31/21 CF. Same results. Tried a teammate's bat for a couple weekends, 29/18 Demarini, and she starts smashing the ball again. The smaller bat yielded the results we wanted, especially for nationals, but I know it's too small. She's in hitting lessons. How do you balance results while in the process of fixing mechanics? I'm leaning towards purchasing a 31/20 this time around. Because a 30/19 is still too small, right?? Her hitting coach says she would really like her to be swinging a 32/22, but I don't see that working at all. Help!

Things that do not cause dribblers:
Bats
Things that cause dribblers:
Trying to pull everything
Hitting too far out in front/ varies
according to pitch location.
Early wrist roll
No backside rotation
A "U" shaped swing path

That was a quickly. Probably more. I can't chose for you or her. 31/20 sounds good, or a 32/21. But does it affect her swing speed? Is the dog wagging the tail or the tail wagging the dog?

Lastly, taking out a second mortgage for the "hottest" bat I think is crazy for 10u or 12u. In other words can she hit hard enough, compress the bat enough, for the specific bat technologies to kick in?

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
My daughter (11 years old) is 4' 6" and 70lbs on her best day. She swings a 30/20 PC (thanks @CoreSoftball20) like a boss.

Agree with the above. It's not the bat.

How does she hit in lessons? Have you discussed this with her hitting coach? If her hitting coach is recommending a 32, why don't you see that working?

If I had to guess your daughter casts on live (and faster) pitching to get the bat around. Its no longer slower 10U pitching or machine pitch. The longer bat combined with casting is causing her to hit more off the upper handle instead of the barrel. The 29 she swung probably allowed her to cast with results.

I'm guessing though, could be many other things but it most likely isn't the bat.

Oct 4, 2018
The bat has nothing to do with it

I agree with this to some degree.

Some 31/21 bats weigh less than 30/20 bats. And one ounce is the weight of a CD. It's nothing. Things that weigh one ounce:

A pencil
6 sheets of paper
A slice of bread
A CD

My DD is a pretty good hitter. She was hitting a 31/20. I handed her a 32/22. She hit that well on the same day.

Aug 13, 2020
I definitely don't think the bat makes the hitter. But to say the bat doesn't matter at all seems unreasonable. I guess my question was what's the balance between results and mechanics? Do we allow a band-aid and let her use a smaller bat for the time being in games for the desired results (understanding the good result is a failure of solid mechanics) while she continues working to fix the problem in hitting lessons? Or does she suffer through games with less desirable hits with the more appropriately sized bat until the hard work pays off?

Jun 26, 2020
Back in the day we had one bat that the park provided. Who knows the weight or length. Good hitters got hits. On second thought every kids runs faster when they get new shoes. That's a scientific fact

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I like them having a longer bat asap (at least 31). Afterall the box, plate and strike zone is the same for them and D1 college but as a kid their arms are much shorter. They need all the help they can get!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598