Are Composite Bats Demonstrably Better?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2021
Serious question and not trying to start any internet arguments.

I am new to the fastpitch softball world as my 10yo daughter started playing rec ball this spring. I’m not sure what information is needed to possibly answer my question(s), so here goes:

My daughter is 10 years 7 months old, 4’11” tall and 87lbs. She has previously competed in gymnastics and is currently competing in BJJ. In short, a tall-ish, strong athlete.

As stated above, she started playing this year and is currently using an Easton Topaz 30/20 Aluminum bat that we bought from Walmart for $35.

We have been doing weekly hitting lessons with a hitting coach along with going to the fields/cages on our own a few times a week. Current hittrax exit velocity average is 48mph with a high of 53mph. (As a numbers guy, I also have all of her hitting stats from last season, if those are necessary).

At our last lesson, the hitting coach pulled me aside and stated that she really should be swinging a composite bat. Basically telling me that her current bat is holding her back and to get a new one ASAP. At least that was my interpretation of it.

So TL;DR:

At this age and skill level does a composite bat make a difference? I’ve tried searching and reading the last week or so, I see everyone recommending composite, but why? I’m clearly overthinking this, but I am also genuinely curious.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
I don't think it will hurt her development swinging an aluminum bat. I don't have any numbers but trying hitting some fly balls with a composite bat. If it's a good bat anyplace you hit it will launch the ball. The Sweet spot is most of the bat. With the aluminum if you hit the sweet spot it will go just as far it just is smaller.

May 17, 2012
It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. If she is going to a hitting coach get her a proper (composite) bat.

You don't even need to buy the newest bat (she will out grow it every season) but do get her a used composite bat at a minimum.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Find an older LXT or PC, Demarini in her size on here or ebay, facebook... if you dont have a demo bat spot. In a 30/20 size nothing will have been beaten on to hard, should be had for $125 or less. Then resell as you move up. Yes a Comp bat will give you a much bigger sweet spot and performance gains. Then dad will need to buy a pocket radar to start checking exit speeds lol

Jul 14, 2018
Forget performance, if she’s hitting the ball hard she will dent an aluminum bat. Unless you want to buy a new one every few weeks, get a composite.

DD made the switch at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Easy answer...YES!

Now, if a girl is very young just playing around the yard...doesnt matter. If she is going to lessons or on a team, a composite bat
is heads and shoulders better and it will help her. Doesnt have to be the latest and greatest, but a composite will help her a lot.

Bigger sweatspot, more pop, more forgiving on non ss hits...the flex of a composite bat also helps the bat do more work for girls
that dont have a big swing by the flex it offers even more than the strong girls

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Equipment does matter.

Composites usually have a bigger sweet spot and the ball will travel further. That said, DD routinely used an aluminum bat in the cage and occasionally in cold weather games. She hit fine with it...but the ball just didn't go as far. As a 12yo, she nearly hit a ball out with a $10 Easton aluminum bat I got from the Wal Mart clearance bin. I'd say that if you can hit well with a cheap aluminum bat, you're really going to like the results with a quality composite.

Hawk the new bat clearance sales in the Fall, and look for used bats in good condition on Ebay.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Its is night and day.
I have a 2016 xeno plus 30/19 in good shape I could part with. Also a 2017 xeno 31/20. She would be set for at least 2 years. The 2016 is super hot and has a killer breaking glass sound at contact. 2017 is also a good bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles