Bat Rolling?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes it is prevalent. IMO it is much ado about nothing. If you can hit you can do it with a 2x4. If you can't no bat trick will make you a hitter.

May 23, 2015
I played slow pitch for Miken in 2002 when they first started making composites. Prior to that I played for Louisville Slugger and tested composites. Shaving definitely makes the bat hotter and illegal. Rolling breaks the fibers in the bat mimicking a broken in bat. It opens the sweet spot a touch and makes the bat a little more forgiving.

Oct 10, 2011
Don't they have compression testing for bats at the big National events?
I've read on some sites that the rolling won't take them above the allowed levels, but break them in more consistently around the barrel.
I do wonder at times when I see some 100 lb girl smack one way over the fence though.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Don't they have compression testing for bats at the big National events?
I've read on some sites that the rolling won't take them above the allowed levels, but break them in a more consistently around the barrel.

Correct on all points. Due to how bats are used and rotated most college teams have bats that are as hot as they will get with or without rolling. Shaving is another animal. However, I would be more concerned about my DD get hit by lightning than a hot shot off a shaved bat at a FP tournament. Most shaved bats are used in SP where guys are compensating for other deficiencies. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think it is prevalent - but the little girl doesn't know it. Someone is certainly buying the 31 and 32 inch altered bats.

Oct 10, 2011
Correct on all points. Due to how bats are used and rotated most college teams have bats that are as hot as they will get with or without rolling. Shaving is another animal. However, I would be more concerned about my DD get hit by lightning than a hot shot off a shaved bat at a FP tournament. Most shaved bats are used in SP where guys are compensating for other deficiencies. :)
Did you have to bring up lightening? Half of our electronics just got fried 2 nights ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand