Bat Rolling?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
A slight bat roll could be argued and I will not go into it. But we know this DOESN'T happen. People went overboard to get the most out of a bat so they look better. I am only talking about the older composite bats. New bats are very different.

The diameter of a bat is 2 1/4 inches. I dont think some realize the older comp bats you could compress to a little over an inch in diameter without breaking. Thats squeezing it an inch. No regular hitting does this. Also why the snapping and cracking you hear isnt normal break in either.

You can take an older comp bat right out of the wrapper, and roll it to the point that it fails testing without even hitting it one time. So you tell me if rolling is normal use or if it should be allowed and its no big deal.

I am done on this topic as I have gotten into this in many other threads and keep getting pulled in darn it...haha

Mar 21, 2013
Sad to say, but bat shaving exists even at the 10U travel ball level. As stated I doubt the girls know about it. Eh dad?!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You can take an older comp bat right out of the wrapper, and roll it to the point that it fails testing without even hitting it one time. So you tell me if rolling is normal use or if it should be allowed and its no big deal.

I am done on this topic as I have gotten into this in many other threads and keep getting pulled in darn it...haha

Forget older comp bats you can no longer buy retail, What effect would rolling have on a 2015 comp bat???

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Forget older comp bats you can no longer buy retail, What effect would rolling have on a 2015 comp bat???

It would just accelerate the break down of the bat. For those who believe a bat has so many hits in it, this would reduce the lifetime of the bat, in their minds. IOW, it would just become hotter faster, but shouldn't take it out of spec but doesn't mean it will not.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It would just accelerate the break down of the bat. For those who believe a bat has so many hits in it, this would reduce the lifetime of the bat, in their minds. IOW, it would just become hotter faster, but shouldn't take it out of spec but doesn't mean it will not.

So what you are saying is that rolling a recently manufactured composite bat SHOULD NOT make it hotter than legally allowed.....which means that while rolling a bat is still illegal, it provides NO competitive advantage.....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So what you are saying is that rolling a recently manufactured composite bat SHOULD NOT make it hotter than legally allowed.....which means that while rolling a bat is still illegal, it provides NO competitive advantage.....

It damages the bat in a manner contrary to how it was intended. And just because it SHOULD not, does not mean it will not If you haven't noticed over the past 15 years, the manufacturers admittedly play loose with the rules. That is one of the reasons many of the spec for the balls now end in a zero.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie