Bat Rolling?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
Most shaved bats are used in SP where guys are compensating for other deficiencies. :)

I must have played in the wrong type of slow pitch. I had to try not to hit HRs because we always played in leagues that only allowed a certain number per game and then they became outs. I had to make sure to only use my HR swings when we had enough runners on to justify it otherwise I was just trying to hit holes in the defense to get on base. Why on earth would I need a shaved bat to hit a HR in SP?

Jun 18, 2013
Nothing to do with the homers dude. Because dbags need to hit missiles thru the infield so barely have
time to react.

I guess I'm just having a hard time putting myself in the mindset of the dbag bro. If you can't place a line drive in SP how good can you really be? If I hit anything that got fielded by an infielder then I figured that I screwed up bad enough to deserve the out and the subsequent mocking that I would get in the dugout. I've never been a speed guy though, so maybe that is the folks looking for the screaming ground ball edge.

Bats are too expensive to roll anyway. I don't want to do anything that is going to shorten the lifespan. I don't care if it make them hotter faster. Figure out how to unroll them to make them stay hot longer and I'll ship you my DD's bat.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes it is and has been. Myself and a few others posted warnings on this type of action a decade ago. Folks scoffed that this was purely an issue in SP. Ha! :)

The composite bats that were available a decade ago definitely got hotter with use, check out the price on a USED Easton Stealth SCN4B - $575. Several years ago the bat manufacturers changed the manufacturing process so the bats were hot out of the wrapper and did not exceed the standard after they were "broken in". Therefore, rolling a recently manufactured bat should not cause it to exceed the standards.

Easton Stealth Comp CNT SCN4B 34 24 Fastpitch Softball Bat 10 | eBay

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The composite bats that were available a decade ago definitely got hotter with use, check out the price on a USED Easton Stealth SCN4B - $575. Several years ago the bat manufacturers changed the manufacturing process so the bats were hot out of the wrapper and did not exceed the standard after they were "broken in". Therefore, rolling a recently manufactured bat should not cause it to exceed the standards.

And the manufacturers knew that and challenged ASA when they started pulling bats off the shelf and post-game for testing as that was not part of the licensing agreement And they were correct, the agreement did not take into consideration the manufacturers would circumvent the safety factor for which the rules were meant.

This is why there was a 2-3 year "grandfathering" of a handful of bats. It is also why ASA began applying ABT to prototypes and tentatively approved bats and retested them after the fact to determine the bat would not exceed the limits at any point during it's life span.