Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Agreed. But sadly, there are some who believe Barry's "selling autographs" swing is something they should be teaching to their hitters. I just happen to disagree with that is all.

He’s displaying the same path as his game swings. Sadaharu OH said that’s his path as well. Teddy Ballgames path is very similar. I think there’s more there. Like I said, I believe there are 2 different paths/approaches that MLBers use. Both are above the ball but one is more passive and the other is more aggressive. You don’t think there are 2 approaches and that would impact how the bat is swung?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
"HYP", another really good hitting coach who used to post at another site used to say that the swing was "linear to rotational" which I liked, and I believe that applies to the rear hip as well.
I must be really off on this then (bold above). I guess i see it as rotational around the turning torso then to linear - release the barrel to ball with extension. To me someone like Trout mostly doesn't release.

Could you help me with the thought of linear to rotational? thanks.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Old school

I don’t think about staying inside the ball, get the head out’- Albert Pujols

New School

‘You still gotta get inside the ball’ - Miggy

One is more vertical, oppo. One is more flat, pull.

Apr 11, 2015
He’s displaying the same path as his game swings. Sadaharu OH said that’s his path as well. Teddy Ballgames path is very similar. I think there’s more there. Like I said, I believe there are 2 different paths/approaches that MLBers use. Both are above the ball but one is more passive and the other is more aggressive. You don’t think there are 2 approaches and that would impact how the bat is swung?
"Approaches" are mental, and there can be as many as there are what works for any particular hitter. But the barrel path of all of them is the same, regardless of what they might say their "approach" to achieving it is.

Again, I coach from a barrel centric "approach", and what Barry displays in his "selling autographs" swing is not what his barrel actually does in his game swings, and so why I don't teach that barrel path.

Apr 11, 2015
I must be really off on this then (bold above). I guess i see it as rotational around the turning torso then to linear - release the barrel to ball with extension. To me someone like Trout mostly doesn't release.

Could you help me with the thought of linear to rotational? thanks.
Sure, when you stride forward don't rotate your hips (rear hip) forward...move the rear hip linearly until the start of your swing rotates towards the ball. "Linear to rotational".

EDIT: Although I think I know where it can become confusing. You're thinking of the "Nike Swoosh" depiction of the barrel path itself that results after the hitter has committed to the rotational part of the hips usage after their linear movement forward...
tMx1mol.jpg

...that part is most definitely "rotational to linear". (y)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"Approaches" are mental, and there can be as many as there are what works for any particular hitter. But the barrel path of all of them is the same, regardless of what they might say their "approach" to achieving it is.

Again, I coach from a barrel centric "approach", and what Barry displays in his "selling autographs" swing is not what his barrel actual does in his game swings, and so why I don't teach that path.

Your being difficult. Those paths both flatten out behind Bonds.

pick up a bat. Do some dry swinging. Swing oppo and inside out some inside pitches. See how much your barrel turns behind you. Very little. then ‘pull’ some outside pitches to CF. You barrel doesn’t turn a bunch more? Do the same with the other locations. Your turn will be much greater when pulling any pitch. Your turn will be much less when thinking oppo.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I definelty see and feel it like the guys who say they swing down to the ball. Trying like he!! to not lose the barrel.

YqqKdKo.gif

i17VL6h.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I believe hand path and barrel path both have their place. So I can see benefit to a barrel centric or a hand centric approach. It all depends what the student needs... Personally I started noticing the difference while using a Zepp sensor. It provides telemetry so that you can see a 3d rendering of both barrel path and hand path. Most pros talk more about hands, so that has generally been my focus. However, what I have noticed is that correcting hand path does not guarantee the correct barrel path. However, I have never seen anyone with the barrel path I am looking for that also did not have a solid hand path. So while my teaching may vary from hitter to hitter, my focus is more on the barrel now. Just my $.02.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez