Ted Williams handset

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I worked today with a younger brother (he was about 10) of one of our girls. It was a refreshing change. I started to explain to him why we use tees, and that the Cubs and Sox have tees under the stands that hitters work sometimes even right before an at bat. I asked him what baseball team he liked, and he said the Red Sox and that Ted Williams was his favorite player (!) and then recited all the facts from the book Ted and Me. Well let me tell you, he had me at hello : )

In our first bit of time together, I immediately saw that he was laying the bat flat and wrapped across his shoulders and back and swinging from there. So we worked on getting control of the barrel into the hands and working a more vertical barrel and keeping his hands at his shoulders at launch. He did a nice job with it.

So tonight I went looking for Ted Williams gifs to share with him, I thought he'd really like that, and I guess my memory was short because I didn't recall the very low handset Williams worked from -- almost counter to what I just worked on with the kid! Yes, he pumps them before he swings but still, I'm a bit flummoxed.

Is Williams handset something that a beginner can handle? Should I show him some GIFs and not "correct" him if he tries to emulate it? What do you guys think? (and yes I realize he could do a heck of a lot worse than emulating Ted Williams lol)

9d672edc-3d8a-49f6-b5ff-e9c58a5d1085.gif

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm a big Ted fan, but in looking at his clips, I notice his swing is kind of long, hands away from the body.
It would be good to compare with Miguel cabrera who keeps his hands in tight and also has some excellent slow-mo on NoonTime's site
Miguel Cabrera - NOONTIME BASEBALL | Page 3
I think Miggy demonstrates the next progression in swing evolution started by Ruth and improved by Ted

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
TedWilliams_C_001_C.gif

Ted Williams: Don’t worry if you hitch a little. Everybody says it’s awful, but York hitched, Foxx hitched, Greenberg hitched. I dropped down a little, as a cocking action, but the important thing is not to drop your hands too much, because you’ll have to bring them back up and that costs time and can disturb your rhythm.
It would be good to compare with Miguel cabrera who keeps his hands in tight
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

I like Manny's hand set also:
Manny_042109_side.gif

Sep 17, 2009
Yeah I agree guys. Also probably wouldn't use as much forward momentum as Babe Ruth : )

I'd just like to use this kid's natural enthusiasm for Ted Williams and the power of going out in the yard and copying your heroes....

Ted Williams: Don’t worry if you hitch a little. Everybody says it’s awful, but York hitched, Foxx hitched, Greenberg hitched. I dropped down a little, as a cocking action, but the important thing is not to drop your hands too much, because you’ll have to bring them back up and that costs time and can disturb your rhythm.

Nice.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Also probably wouldn't use as much forward momentum as Babe Ruth : )
baber1.gif

Look where Ruth's hands are in gif. My comment is not directed at the Ruth gif but, in generl, I'm not a fan of hands having to move up or down in order to 'launch' swing. I believe some posters would/have called this 'slop' in the swing. JMHO

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying