Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
The angle of the cut is exactly opposite of what most think of as swing plane
41f75a91352412de77af6f631129e9c6.jpg

Take this cut here and put him in the right posture and you got a great swing.

Apr 11, 2015
Your being difficult. Those paths both flatten out behind Bonds.
You have way to many directional "what ifs' all over the place, as if a hitter actually thinks about "flattening", "TTB" a lot, a little, anywhere in between, or whatever in the fractions of a second they have to decide to swing at the ball or not.

pick up a bat. Do some dry swinging. Swing oppo and inside out some inside pitches. See how much your barrel turns behind you. Very little. then ‘pull’ some outside pitches to CF. You barrel doesn’t turn a bunch more? Do the same with the other locations. Your turn will be much greater when pulling any pitch. Your turn will be much less when thinking oppo.
I've been picking up bats, and swinging them in all sorts of way since 1965 (yes I'm old 👴), it was Xmas of 1970 that I received my copy of "Science of Hitting" that I started really playing with all of the different things Ted was saying that my coaches at the time were...and it's still the same exact copy I'm referencing, and posting quotes out of today. All of which has led me to the things I post, and have posted (and actually teach) at sites like these for 10+ years now.

Btw, you just described the amount of "turning" in or with the rear hip depending on pitch location....that will automatically determine your barrel path (and how much the "barrel turns behind you" on it's way) to the ball. Congratulations, I think you're starting to come around now. ;)😁

Apr 11, 2015
For those of you who believe that the swing is done, created, powered or whatever it is you've got going with the obliques, here's a quick tutorial about how the obliques can actually move the body....
Obliques Movement Gif.gif

So if y'all want to swing the bat with the movement(s) of the obliques (and arms), and take the hips out of the equation...that's fine by me. "To each their own" as they say...best of luck to ya (and your hitters). (y)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You have way to many directional "what ifs' all over the place, as if a hitter actually thinks about "flattening", "TTB" a lot, a little, anywhere in between, or whatever in the fractions of a second they have to decide to swing at the ball or not.

I've been picking up bats, and swinging them in all sorts of way since 1965 (yes I'm old 👴), it was Xmas of 1970 that I received my copy of "Science of Hitting" that I started really playing with all of the different things Ted was saying that my coaches at the time were...and it's still the same exact copy I'm referencing, and posting quotes out of today. All of which has led me to the things I post, and have posted (and actually teach) at sites like these for 10+ years now.

Btw, you just described the amount of "turning" in or with the rear hip depending on pitch location....that will automatically determine your barrel path (and how much the "barrel turns behind you" on it's way) to the ball. Congratulations, I think you're starting to come around now. ;)😁

You keep pushing your agenda. It’s tiresome. I said nothing about the rear hip. Will the rear hip turn more if ‘pulling’ sure, will it turn less if ones approach is oppo, yes. What’s your point? Stop chasing your agenda.

Jun 8, 2016
I've made this post about 4 times in the last 6 months on here...in particular with regards to what you said about TTB..

To the flattening part some guys launch with a flatter barrel than others (think Cano and Soto for example), not sure that has anything to do with intent but instead is a style thing. Now what type of hitter they are (dead pull, high ball vs low ball, etc) could somewhat be a result of their style but I don't think anybody decides when they are 12-18 YO they want to be a dead pull hitter,etc..

Apr 11, 2015
You keep pushing your agenda. It’s tiresome. I said nothing about the rear hip. Will the rear hip turn more if ‘pulling’ sure, will it turn less if ones approach is oppo, yes. What’s your point? Stop chasing your agenda.
What's my agenda...other than trying to help some feel or understand an easier way to learn to swing a bat?

May 3, 2014
For those of you who believe that the swing is done, created, powered or whatever it is you've got going with the obliques, here's a quick tutorial about how the obliques can actually move the body....
View attachment 17774

So if y'all want to swing the bat with the movement(s) of the obliques (and arms), and take the hips out of the equation...that's fine by me. "To each their own" as they say...best of luck to ya (and your hitters). (y)

No one said anything about taking the "hips" out of the equation. Stop being dramatic lol..

Apr 11, 2015
I've made this post about 4 times in the last 6 months on here...in particular with regards to what you said about TTB.
What did I say about TTB? Because I don't really teach it or talk about it as part of my instruction...other than how it relates to the barrel path.

To the flattening part some guys launch with a flatter barrel than others (think Cano and Soto for example), not sure that has anything to do with intent but instead is a style thing. Now what type of hitter they are (dead pull, high ball vs low ball, etc) could somewhat be a result of their style but I don't think anybody decides when they are 12-18 YO they want to be a dead pull hitter..
Do they really flatten their barrels as a result of their "style" or is it more related to their preference to the location of pitches the like to swing at (high ball vs low ball hitters)?

Because IMO, flattening vs not flattening is a result of pitch location...being flatter on pitches up in the zone vs those more vertical for pitches down in the zone. If not, please share your checkpoints that will allow me to determine if a hitter has a flatter swing all of the time vs one who does not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01