Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
OK, so where's "launch" then? Can you swing or launch the bat/barrel at the ball, or are those two different, mutually exclusive terms? I happen to believe they're interchangeable, but that's might just be me.

trying to derail? LOL. J/K. Launch for me is when the hands come forward. Hopefully this doesn’t derail. 😆

May 3, 2014
The angle of the cut is exactly opposite of what most think of as swing plane
41f75a91352412de77af6f631129e9c6.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
trying to derail? LOL. J/K. Launch for me is when the hands come forward. Hopefully this doesn’t derail. 😆
We're close on this. Some used to say that the "swing" wasn't "launched" until after the hitter was no longer able to check it.

So this was a "swing" that was never "launched"...
GyE99rx.gif

I look at the swing or launch to happen once the barrel starts forward vs the hands...as the hands can go forward but it's still not a swing or launch until the hitter actually commits the barrel.
VUr18XW.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We're close on this. Some used to say that the "swing" wasn't "launched" until after the hitter was no longer able to check it.

GyE99rx.gif

I look at the swing or launch to happen once the barrel starts forward vs the hands...as the hands can go forward but it's still not a swing or launch until the hitter actually commits the barrel.
VUr18XW.gif

that makes sense. Actual ‘committal’ would be when the barrel comes forward. I agree. If we are saying ‘launch’ is point of no return. That is swing launch. But the physical ‘feel’ of launch would be the hands coming forward as far as feel goes. For me. OMMV.

Edit: if you look at this way.. when adjusting to an offspeed pitch and the hands come forward and you can’t hold up or adjust anymore... would that be considered launch as well? Coaches always saying keep the hands back to sit for offspeed. Know what I mean?

May 3, 2014

GyE99rx.gif

VUr18XW.gif
I like the bold. You can release the barrel very late with certain approaches and not so much with others.

EDIT - again with the recent emphasis on LA and HR's you need to release barrel earlier and prob another reason for the high K rate.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Don't know, but he's definitely shifting his weight onto his lead leg then swinging down...something he didn't do in his game swings.
zYKw4qE.gif

I heard that a big feel cue for BB was to feel his front foot during practice/training. I don’t have video. Just heard it was a cue for him.it shows in both his tee swings posted in this thread. FWIW.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Sorry all - but I can't help thinking about the end of the bat path (extension)

barrel to pitcher - palm up palm down = no wrist roll over yet

Attachments

• Hitter-3.jpg
    Hitter-3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Hitter-4.jpg
    Hitter-4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Hitter-5.jpg
    Hitter-5.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Hitter-6.jpg