Ball control on force?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I listened to a dad's appeal earlier today:

R1 on 1B
grounder to left of 2B
SS has difficulty collecting ball as she is falling down
SS secures ball in her throwing hand as she rolls over and touches 2B with her empty glove prior to R1 reaching bag
BU calls runner safe, because SS had touched the bag with a glove that did not contain the ball

Dad in the stands is livid, maintaining that, because it was a force play, then the empty glove tag of the bag was the same as if the player had merely stepped on 2B with the ball in her throwing hand.

I told him I was pretty sure the ball needed to be in the glove, but that the player could touch the bag with the ball hand and get that out.

I don't know any NSA rules, though, so I couldn't have too much of an argument. Is this dad correct?

Jun 22, 2008
On a force play the defender in posession of the ball may touch the base with any part of their body, uniform or equipment. The dad was correct, what difference does it make if the player touches the base with their foot or an empty glove? The ball is not in the shoe either when the player touches the base with their foot.

Feb 3, 2011
Stepping on the bag is different, because the feet support both hands. ;)

Thanks for the knowledge!

Jun 22, 2008
Just for reference the rule is ASA 8-7-C. When, on a force play, a fielder contacts the base while holding the ball....

It doesnt not specify what the fielder may contact the base with, it simply says contacts while holding the ball.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The questions I have are why is a father in the stands making the appeal (even though correct) as opposed to the HC and why is the umpire even acknowledging a fan's appeal?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
On a force play the defender in posession of the ball may touch the base with any part of their body, uniform or equipment.

I know that you know this, but just to expand it a bit...

This applies on any play where the fielder is tagging a base. It might be a force play, it might not be. It could be a tag of a base because a runner left too soon on a catch. For any tag of a base, tagging the base with any part of the body, uniform or equipment is a valid tag.

Conversely, anytime there is a tag of a runner the tag must be made with the hand that's actually holding the ball.

Mar 15, 2014
Conversely, anytime there is a tag of a runner the tag must be made with the hand that's actually holding the ball.

That is true even on a force play--which probably led to the umpire's confusion.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ

That is true even on a force play--which probably led to the umpire's confusion.

Uhhhh....no.

On a force play, all that is required is that the defender has control of the ball and touches the base with any part of their body.

Feb 3, 2011
Uhhhh....no.

On a force play, all that is required is that the defender has control of the ball and touches the base with any part of their body.

I thought they were talking about making a tag on the runner when the force is on, not touching the bag.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877