Back to work and open stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
As many have commented, sequence is so important. Several years ago, I had to research sequence. Here are a couple of posts that helped me.

SwingBuilder Hitting Sequence
Posted by Swingbuilder on BBD:

Sequence starts with the move out! Every hitter moves out. Not all move outs are good and not all hitters start with a move back(negative move).
The BEST way to move out (positive move) is by rear hip coil. Start of the sequence! The sequence of body movements to swing the damn bat!

Style

Style is individual to each player.
Style is all things that have to happen while the damn ball is in the pitchers hand!
Style is all things that happen BEFORE the Move out by the hitter!

Style examples

Leg kick, leg tuck, leg lift
Toe tap in
Toe tap back
Toe tap out
Sway back
Crouching
Standing taller

Coil or Gather or Negative Move

Some hitters coil their hip as they move out and some hitters coil to then move out. But they have a coiled hip as they move out.
For those that move out with coiling its that coiling that causes the hands to load and the stride leg to reach out. And is MOST OPTIMAL!
Those that coil to then move out still must load the hands and reach out with the stride leg IN THE MOVE OUT.
When a hitter loads his hands back and first as his negative move. He is OUT of the correct sequential pattern. Meaning the barrel will pause or stop and will be pulled forward by the move out or be castes by the hip spin.
For the hitter to be both loading the hands and unloading the rear leg the loading and unloading have to happen at the SAME TIME. If not then you are OUT of SEQUENCE!

Sequence

Train the body to move out correctly and at the right time! That is the Sequence!!'
Step 1 coil the hip forward or move out coiled (coil)
Step 2 the hands load back/up AND the stride leg is moved out (stretch)
Step 3 the rear leg gets driven forward while the upper body is loading (Separation...,of lower and upper body)

Sequence-How

The coil starts it.
The energy from the coil is sent down the back leg into the ground.
The energy is now sent up through the foot, rear leg, rear hip, rear shoulder, hands, barrel of bat.
Time the BALL!!... A MOVING ball!!!

Sequence-Defined

Coil is the positive move forward (various degree's of forward). Its the driver of the swing. Its the resistance maker. Coil causes the stretch.
Stretch is the hands being loaded back while at the same time the stride leg is being moved out (dangle).
Separation is the loading in the UN-load. Its the "overlap". Its the lower and upper being separated for each other. The removal of the body rotating all at one time in one piece.

To do that you must have a timing mechanism for the ball. That would be the move out...hip coil!

The Style times the pitcher. Style is dancing with the pitcher!! Style is while the BALL is IN the PITCHERS hand!!

Once that ball comes out of the pitchers hand your style move better be spent or you will never get in sequence in time to time the ball!!!

The loading doesn't happen until the launch.
The stretch phase that most call loading is really just stretching.
What we don't want is to UNload as you swing. We want you to load MORE as you are swinging. That is what the best hitters in the world do. That loading more is the hip coil getting tighter (coiled more) and the forearm pinching the bicep of top hand arm as you launch the barrel.
Unload and uncoil and unpinch just happen as a result of the sequence being executed correctly.

Jun 18, 2010
Noontime Hitting Sequence
Posted by Noontime on BBD

To the question of why the heck do I care about this.... for me this move is 100% complimentary to everything I have learned about "sequence" from Swingbuilder and as illustrated by the pattern and sequence thread here. SB uses "Coil-Stretch-Separation"... I like "Coil-Load-Launch"... but in either case the thing to realize about "The Sequence" is that is isn't Coil THEN Load THEN Launch. They are not a sequence as in three discrete actions that start and stop before the next one happens. It starts with coiling and you never really stop coiling. As you are coiling you will begin loading sometime after you started coiling and you really never stop loading from that point on. So then you are still coiling and still loading and then you begin launching.. here is the best I can "draw" at the moment:

* = start of the sequence to time the ball... pitcher release

*Coiling->Coiling->Coiling-> | \
*---------Loading->Loading-> | }---- THE SEQUENCE
*----------------Launching-> | /

Jun 18, 2010
How did we work on sequence?

We started with the ever popular Happy Gilmore Drill.

walkthrough.gif

RyanHappyGilmore.gif

May 20, 2015
Let's see this 'good swing' that you like from this hitter. You mention that it isn't in this thread. Where is it?

Here is the thread:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...6-balance-board-moving-feet-2.html#post338129

I may have over stated the swing here in this link, but the swing has gone down hill relatively fast.

I think may praise regarding the best swing seen here was due to the fact that her footwork
is so good. does she need work, regarding the footwork, no, no,no.

I've been working with my kid on getting to that type of footwork. I absolutely applaud who ever
got her feet and legs to work in that manner.

FFS pointed it out. Also see Trouts swing. That type of footwork prevents over rotation
which currently is on my agenda of issues to correct.

I have to work now. Carry on.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with do-over on this one. IMO, her older swing was better in some important areas (separation, extension)...
g1eYn.gif

May 20, 2015
I agree with do-over on this one. IMO, her older swing was better in some important areas (separation, extension)...
g1eYn.gif

I love that swing. A lot.
I think the error that was made, as I stated, was way too much tinkering. Given her age, some tweaks here and there could
have been worked on over the years (one or two adjustments per year). It's not too late. IMHO

I sincerely hope she can get back to this swing, groove it, work on the mental aspects of hitting and watch the college invites
stream in. I only offer this up to Cbullard:
Too many cooks spoil the soup.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is the thread:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...6-balance-board-moving-feet-2.html#post338129

I may have over stated the swing here in this link, but the swing has gone down hill relatively fast.

I think may praise regarding the best swing seen here was due to the fact that her footwork
is so good. does she need work, regarding the footwork, no, no,no.

I've been working with my kid on getting to that type of footwork. I absolutely applaud who ever
got her feet and legs to work in that manner.

FFS pointed it out. Also see Trouts swing. That type of footwork prevents over rotation
which currently is on my agenda of issues to correct.

I have to work now. Carry on.

You have a point. The updated swing is pretty bad.

Oct 27, 2015
I've messed up my daughter's swing many times over the years. Unfortunately this can be a part of the process to become a better coach. Hang in there, keep trying to figure out what is good and bad advice. You're on the right track being on this site as. People like FiveFrameSwing give great advice when you can drag it out of him.

Last edited:

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I love that swing. A lot.
I think the error that was made, as I stated, was way too much tinkering. Given her age, some tweaks here and there could
have been worked on over the years (one or two adjustments per year). It's not too late. IMHO

I sincerely hope she can get back to this swing, groove it, work on the mental aspects of hitting and watch the college invites
stream in. I only offer this up to Cbullard:
Too many cooks spoil the soup.

I agree. Kid has a bunch of talent.

The wide range of 'cooks' can make it challenging for parents. You might have 10 'cooks' on the internet saying basically the same thing and giving good advise but the coach writing out the line-up might teach and want to see something very different.

Cbullard- have your DD become a student of hitting. Read through this site with her. Then she will understand what she needs to do and why she needs to do it. Once she has the knowledge she will beable to talk hitting with her coach and teach him the proper way to swing a bat.

Aug 2, 2011
My DD was having trouble with inside pitches. She was taught to swing inside the ball from such an early age she didn't know how to pull inside pitches. When her coach threw inside during front toss she would (in extreme cases) shuffle her feet back and try to get her hands inside it. We just started experimenting with an open stance so she will be in a good position to pull the pitch. It seems to be working so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06