A ball vs playing up thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2022
Fairly new to comp ball. DD is a 2010 and started comp ball at 10U. She is a pitcher with a goal to play in Highschool and college. Currently played this past season in 12B and team is moving up to 14B. I’ve tried to learn what is the best path to reach goals and gotten some that say A ball to play Highschool and college. Some that playing up isn’t bad if she loves her team and she is challenged. That there isn’t much difference between 14A/14B. She was offered a position on a 12A team, but chose to stay with her current team because she loves the team and feels that she will be challenged moving to 14B (her decision since we wanted her to make that choice. We felt it was a good learning opportunity on making big decisions) just wanted to open discussion on others thoughts on the subject of A ball vs playing up at this age level.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Become friends with parents that are 3-4 years ahead of you in the journey and their kid is on a good team. Listen to what they say and what they have learned. A vs B who knows what kind of team it is, depending on the area. Seen some garbage "A" teams and some pretty dang good "B" teams. Focus on who is doing the coaching. Is there real skill development? And is your DD having fun? If neither is happening, she won't be playing in 4 years.

Jul 25, 2022
The organization for 12A is Top Gun which seems to have a good reputation but relationships for her are important and she has good chemistry with the team she is currently on. The offer to play 12A was unexpected and was from a coach who noticed her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
The organization for 12A is Top Gun which seems to have a good reputation but relationships for her are important and she has good chemistry with the team she is currently on. The offer to play 12A was unexpected and was from a coach who noticed her.

It is important that you don't force her to do something she doesn't want to. That said most girls at that age will make new friends pretty quickly. Top Gun is a good org so my guess is the 12A team will be better, and play better competition, than her current team which is going to be 14B. The other thing is circle time..do you have any idea where she will fit in with regards to the other pitchers on the 12A team? The coach may say one thing but you have to be able to step back and evaluate on your own with unbiased eyes..

Jul 25, 2022
Definitely agree to not force her into anything that’s why the decision was hers to make. She chose to stay with her team and move to 14B which we are fine with since she is the one playing and we do like the team.
I just wanted to put this topic out there in case others found themselves in the same decision scenario because I was unable to find it anywhere when it came about for us. It was difficult to find a straight answer on what was best when trying to weigh pros and cons knowing our daughter and her goals. I wasn’t sure the difference in A ball vs playing up for growth and opportunities.

Jun 8, 2016
Definitely agree to not force her into anything that’s why the decision was hers to make. She chose to stay with her team and move to 14B which we are fine with since she is the one playing and we do like the team.
I just wanted to put this topic out there in case others found themselves in the same decision scenario because I was unable to find it anywhere when it came about for us. It was difficult to find a straight answer on what was best when trying to weigh pros and cons knowing our daughter and her goals. I wasn’t sure the difference in A ball vs playing up for growth and opportunities.

Ok sorry..I glanced over the part where you said she decided already ;)

Jul 25, 2022
Say there is a struggle this Fall playing 14B. Could she move back down to a 12A team in the Spring or going forward must she always play in 14?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00