Back to work and open stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Honestly, we are just cranking up with hitting and pitching (she plays on multiple basketball teams.). In the 1st few sessions, we were working trying to stop the back foot from kicking out behind her. So, I think that's been her focus. She starts back with her hitting coach on the 29th.

Do-Over...I appreciate your help. But, you seem to be in your feelings. I didn't ignore you or any advice. She's just been heavy into travel basketball. So, a lot of what she was doing is off (including pitching). Same thing happened last year and she started slow with both before going on a roll.

Maybe I should just let the back foot do what it naturally does? Right now that's what she's focused on through her swing (you'll notice she swings her hips shut). Maybe if I don't mention it she'll take her more natural swing?

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe I should just let the back foot do what it naturally does? Right now that's what she's focused on through her swing. Maybe if I don't mention it she'll take her more natural swing?

Trout_highside_slo.gif

May 12, 2014
Here she is hitting last night. I know it's not the best angle but I couldn't get in the tunnel next to her. The girl she's hitting against is an all state jr.

[video]https://youtu.be/zeON5bHG90A[/video]

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One thing that jumps out at me in this latest clip is her front arm. Her elbow is staying down and close to her body. This is a big contributor to the level-to-the-ground contact we see here. What we want to see is a swing plane that is tilted to contact. Also, the current front arm use limits the ability to get proper extension into and through contact.

That said, get her sequence sorted out first.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks Eric....greatly appreciated! Would she be able to get a lot of tilt where the ball is?

The lower the pitch, the more the swing plane and shoulders tilt. On that pitch, there won't be much tilt. That said, her current front arm use won't allow her to tilt properly. What we want to see is the front forearm and the bat lined up. For a pitch at shoulder height, the elbow, hands, and bat will be in line, pretty much level to the ground. Lower than the shoulders, and the swing plane (and shoulders) tilt so the hands will be above the barrel, and the front elbow will be above the hands.

Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

glauss-posture.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028