Avoiding hit strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2022
Whats the rule? Bc these 8 yr old girls when ball is coming at them, will drop the bat, jump, etc. But its clear they werent swinging. I dont think it should be a strike on swing if they drop their hands or bat and jump back to avoid being hit. Seems like umps dont get the ruling on that.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had 1 ump for most games in 8U, hard call for them IMO. Handful of them were in there teens by themselfs on the field.

I do think most the umps knew the rule and did the best they could.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Whats the rule? Bc these 8 yr old girls when ball is coming at them, will drop the bat, jump, etc. But its clear they werent swinging. I dont think it should be a strike on swing if they drop their hands or bat and jump back to avoid being hit. Seems like umps dont get the ruling on that.

None of what you described is an attempt to hit the ball. The bat accidentally crossing the plate or something during an evasive maneuver is not a swing.

Jul 27, 2021
Sounds like a wrong call that OP described.

It's so important to make good calls in the young age groups.
They get so few at bats (1 or 2 a game) that bad strike calls take away so much from them.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Just because a player jumps out of the way doesn't mean the pitch wasn't in the strike zone. I've seen that lots and lots of times in 8U. Hell, I see girls duck out of the way of strikes every weekend....in 18U.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Just because a player jumps out of the way doesn't mean the pitch wasn't in the strike zone. I've seen that lots and lots of times in 8U. Hell, I see 18U girls duck out of the way of strikes every weekend....in 18U.
I like it when they do the ol "bend at the knees to try and make the pitch look like a ball even though it is right down the middle"

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Just because a player jumps out of the way doesn't mean the pitch wasn't in the strike zone. I've seen that lots and lots of times in 8U. Hell, I see 18U girls duck out of the way of strikes every weekend....in 18U.

I wasn't considering that the pitches were called strikes in the OP, but this is a good point.

Kids who don't understand how the lower half works in the swing tend to think any pitch on the inside half of the plate is too far inside. I see kids who are not afraid of the ball jumping back on pitches that are obvious strikes just because, from their perspective, they can't hit that ball without getting hit by it because of how they swing.

Jun 8, 2016
I wasn't considering that the pitches were called strikes in the OP, but this is a good point.

Kids who don't understand how the lower half works in the swing tend to think any pitch on the inside half of the plate is too far inside. I see kids who are not afraid of the ball jumping back on pitches that are obvious strikes just because, from their perspective, they can't hit that ball without getting hit by it because of how they swing.
That was my pitch..actually might have been my only pitch :cautious:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45