Asthma, who knows about this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD was diagnosed today. It has only shown up during basketball, but the Doc thinks its regular asthma and not exercised induced.

Does anyone here have personal experience with this, and what does this mean to my girl's sports going forward?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do. I had it severely. (I will spare you that.) My DD also had it. We both played a lot of sports. Asthma can be controlled.

I outgrew mine and I always thought that mine was stressed induced.

Both my DD and myself have had allergy tests, to look for triggers that we can avoid (peanuts, smoke, etc.) My DD used a daily inhaler and a rescue inhaler. Some patients use a nebulizer for breathing treatments. She got better in H.S. but yes, it could be exercise induced.

Jan 18, 2011
I also have Asthma and my two DD have it. They are all-star cheerleaders and play ball. As a matter of fact the sports helped their asthma as it made their lungs stronger. We carry a maintance/rescue inhaler, we also have a portable nebulizer. Asthma should not limited her play, but you should monitor it. My girls pre-treat before performing (cheer) and before a game. I also mention to the umpire, because I coach, that there may be a time I need to call a time-out to get an inhaler to my DD if she's in the outfiield.

As Amy said, asthma can be controlled and it shouldn't limited her play at all. The better it is managed the less you'll need the rescue inhaler, but always keep one handy, always.

Disclaimer, :>) I'm not a doctor but I have a lot of experience with asthma.

Oct 19, 2009
One of our best players (catcher) has asthma. Sometimes it bothers her during conditioning aspects of practice but I have never seen it trouble her during games. She's a real tough cookie though - doesn't know the meaning of the words "tap out". In her case she manages it and I don't see it as limiting her in any way.

Oct 15, 2009
My DD has asthma, she will use her inhaler before she starts to warm up and again if she needs it during games later in the day. In very hot, humid weather we will use her nebulizer while we are in the parking lot early in the morning, and after that she might have to use inhaler later in the day but not normally. Her asthma was much worse when she was 10 to 12 years old but at 14 it is less of an issue for her.

Mar 13, 2010
It won't stop her, provided she takes care of herself.

At a minimum she HAS to have her inhaler with her at all times. There's nothing worse than having an attack and not having an inhaler nearby.

Feb 9, 2011
My DD has it but it only acts up on really dry days when the fields are very dusty. Our doctor told us to give her a shot before the tournament begins and she will be fine.

Seems to work so far. It's only as severe to them as you make it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish