ASA vs Pony

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

The organization I am getting involved in is associated with Pony, but wants to switch over to ASA - we are in New England.

Can anyone spell out any pros and/or cons of each organization?

Thanks,

Ray

Jun 6, 2009
I guess it would depend on what your looking for. Never had anything to do with Pony. If your team is looking to play the best competition on a national scale, that would be ASA.

Jan 15, 2009
Regionally Pony is very strong on the East Coast similar to USSSA dominance in the midwest. This means that Nationals and Regionals will be played somewhere you can get to easily if you stay with PONY, but somewhere further away if you go ASA. There is no doubt that at 16U/18U the best of the best play ASA at the lower age levels you should be able to find good competition at any of the nationals. If you find yourself dominating PONY Nationals then look to go ASA for a bigger challenge. At the younger ages 10U/12U/14U it's probably cheaper and easier to just play up an age division close to home if your dominant.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ASA is the best, NSA is second, AFA is third. Pony and Little League are near the bottom.

The good thing about ASA is that you are playing the best. The bad thing is that you likely will get your rears kicked as soon as you play the California team. So, parents will be rudely awakened as to the true ability level of their DDs--which is not always a good thing.

The good thing about Pony is that you could win a "World Championship". The problem is that some parents won't understand that being "Top of the Pony League" isn't much to brag about.

Personally, I like playing the best. You aren't going to get any better by beating the "Little Sisters of Poor". You will quickly find out which kids want to be the best and are willing to put the time into being the best.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Aren't LL and Pony both considered "rec league?" We are LL here and it is pretty awful (poor coaching, poor equipment, little competition.)

May 29, 2009
Aren't LL and Pony both considered "rec league?" We are LL here and it is pretty awful (poor coaching, poor equipment, little competition.)

PONY around here (NY, NJ, CT) is definitely not on the same scale as LL. Most travel teams attend PONY tournaments which is where the best competition is in this area. It blows away the competition in LL all-stars. There are only a handful of ASA tourneys so most teams play a PONY schedule. Going to PONY nationals is a really big deal.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. I remember DD going to Pony "state", now. But, Pony ends in the summer, I think. While the travel organizations are year round, any more. (DD is 20, so it has been awhile since she was in rec ball.)

Jan 15, 2009
Sluggers

It depends on where you are and where your willing to travel to. AFA Nationals in Rochelle IL is showing (2 teams at 12U, 4 at 14U, 7 at 16U) right now in comparison to USSSA Nationals in Kansas with (71 teams at 12U, 82 teams at 14U, 47 teams at 16U) teams from MO, KS, IA, WI, MN, IL, IN, NE, CO, AR, NM, and one from TX

We held an AFA National in MN last year and it was 95% teams from MN only, 1 umpire time limit games, poorly organized.

Jun 2, 2008
NSA - Big deal for teams east of the mississippi. Not one west coast team signed up. Why?

Pony - Northeast predominately. Great tournament for that area, less travel expense, etc.

ASA - the show. Again, travel expenses and qualification affects participation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207