AROD fights back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Add tilt. Do you really want him to slo mo his hand path while getting his body dynamically balanced in real time? Lol.

Critical thinking guys.

I totally agree with the need for critical thinking. The point many are trying to get across is that there will be some dads that see the actions, and think it is right, without adding the critical thinking. If someone simply follows Arod's demo without understanding the context, they will not do very well. Guaranteed. That said, I have no issue with the thought process that the pros use/used. It works/worked for them. At the same time, it doesn't mean they would be great teachers/instructors.

But back to "critical thinking". I try to use that as much as possible. It can be applied to the interviews with pros. But it can also be applied when reading the material of others; Antonelli, Stone, Lisle, Schenk. Whomever...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Wasn't giving a hitting lesson? Did you watch the video? I mean.... seriously.

Really? You took that as a hitting lesson? I took it as a tutorial to not dump the barrel. I didn’t see a tee or toss or him hit a ball did you? Is that how you give a hitting lesson? Or explanation?

Here’s what a lesson looks like:

Jun 8, 2016
Knowing what their intentions are and knowing all of the exact movement patterns they use to produce their swing are two different things. For those of you who think they understand their swing perfectly let me ask you what age do you think that happened at? LL? HS? MiLB? MLB?

I ask this because I can tell you for a fact that I personally just thought about getting my barrel to the ball as explosively as possible all throughout my career (through my short stint in college). That was my intent, my feel. I didn't know anything about coil, pullbacks, etc., etc. Now you might say that I wasn't AROD or Pujols or Trout and that is most definitely true. I could, however, hit well enough that when I was a sophomore in HS I had a few scouts tell me I would be a top 5 round draft pick if I continued to develop ( I didn't unfortunately for a number of reasons). I graduated from HS the same year as AROD. Back then if you could hit, nobody was analyzing your swing and you more than likely were not seeing yourself on video to get a good look at what you were doing. While through a lot of hard work one would become an expert on how their swing felt, I wouldn't say very many were experts on their actual mechanics/movements.

When I started with my DD I knew how to swing and I knew her swing didn't look correct but I had no idea what parts were wrong. Me telling her how my swing felt to me would have been of zero use. It took a lot of help on here and elsewhere to get a good idea of what was going on. Do those guys know more about the swing then I did then, most definitely. IMO this still doesn't make them an expert in the mechanics of the swing, e.g. what it is you need to know to be able to teach it to someone else.

To be fair to W=w he is saying that their is a lot of information which needs to be filled in before you can use the feel these guys describe to help somebody. Also he did post a while back the progression he uses to teach the feel Arod is talking about here e.g. what he uses to fill in the information gap. As it is relveant to this thread maybe he can post it here again for those who might be interested. As a disclaimer, I disagree strongly with his thought process and logic regarding the lack of a need to get the barrel up to speed early...that doesn't mean that somebody won't be able to use what/how he teaches and help a kid out as his DD's swing is pretty good.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
TM's mechanics pulled Kingery out of the minors and he's not a big guy... Lotief was a former HI member and his TTB mechanics put ULL on the map for hitting, but maybe transforming a no-name D1 into a national hitting powerhouse is to low level to merit any credit.

Typical. TM got Kingery there?!. And Happ? But either way that’s great. Not my concern.

I only care that he stops claiming ‘match’. Nothing more. Nothing less.

It’s his own personal system that he feels is superior. How about that claim? Works for me. Does that work for you?

It’s not what the best do. Case closed.Fair??

Jun 8, 2016
I only care that he stops claiming ‘match’. Nothing more. Nothing less.
You went down the HI path and it didn't work out for your DD. I think you really need to add this to
many of your posts to give some context to your anger towards him... ;)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You could say the same thing about Jennie Finch pitching, but the mechanics she promoted did serious damage to countless youth pitchers. Only those who grew beyond her teachings survived, those who stayed the course failed.

It's definitely great to listen whenever a pro has insight to offer, but the Hanson rule must apply to them as well. If it comes down to a choice of who to listen to, I'd rather stick with proven teachers who's students and disciples are literally changing the hitting instruction game.

Here are a few of TM's successes, maybe if naysayers published their stats, their words would hold more merit.

Understood. But once again. He needs to back off using ‘match’ and the pros don’t know what they do. It’s pathetic.

His ‘better’ system is a fine disclaimer. But he won’t do that. We all know that. His claims since he started on hitting forums was ‘ I know what the greats do’. Too much to lose. Many won’t listen if he didnt have a pro gif to claim is a match. We all know it. More importantly he knows it. If parents knew it wasn’t the same mechanics, they would laugh at him. So he won’t come clean, I’m not asking for anything more than the ‘truth’. What he claims he’s after.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You went down the HI path and it didn't work out for your DD. I think you really need to add this to
many of your posts to give some context to your anger towards him... ;)

No anger Pattar. Honestly. I went the Tewks route. Same premise. TTB to the ball. No HI for me. Too out there with his theories too suck me in.

I just want newer members to be aware that it’s not a match. Nothing more. He can have his TTB system. Claim it’s better. I don’t care. Just don’t claim match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug