AROD fights back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest

I haven't been around a while but this vid showed up on my phone.
A golf ball does not go up because of a Ferris wheel swing. The club has a Pitch on it so it will go up. Try hitting a one iron and getting the ball in the air,lol.

Point being some of his statements are incorrect, which makes me doubt the whole approach.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My biggest issues with his demonstrations are that neither one reflect what is actually happening. His game swing is not a chop down to the ball. His demonstration of a "ferris wheel" swing is flat-out ridiculous.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I haven't been around a while but this vid showed up on my phone.
A golf ball does not go up because of a Ferris wheel swing. The club has a Pitch on it so it will go up. Try hitting a one iron and getting the ball in the air,lol.

Point being some of his statements are incorrect, which makes me doubt the whole approach.

He is just trying to explain that a ‘loop’ is detrimental to swing mechanics. Nothing more. Straight to the ball. Once you lose the barrel ‘under’ the pitch plane it’s near impossible to recover. You can topspin a few but it’s not very consistent.

Golf is no different except that the ball is not moving and there is a timing variable in baseball swing mechanics. Hand articulations are the same. If you want to compare the two. Think of casting from the top of the backswing in golf as a comparison to a ‘launch angle’ swing per his description.

In good swings, both load,lag,release the barrel/head into the ball relative to location.

Golf driver:

Golf wedge:

Outside:

Inside:

Note: how long does that barrel/head stay up? The closer the ball the longer the lag? The farther the ball the earlier the release? Both sports? If you believe in lag, you better stay ‘on top’. If you don’t, don’t. :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A loop of the hands is not part of the swing mechanics instructed by those who use "ferris wheel" in their description. ARod grossly exaggerates something that is not a part of the swing concept he is bashing. Also, the idea that the hands and barrel travel in two different paths is a concept that seems to escape a lot of people who should know better. He hands affect the barrel path, but since the hands are a center-point of rotation for the barrel, the barrel can (and should) have a different path.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A loop of the hands is not part of the swing mechanics instructed by those who use "ferris wheel" in their description. ARod grossly exaggerates something that is not a part of the swing concept he is bashing. Also, the idea that the hands and barrel travel in two different paths is a concept that seems to escape a lot of people who should know better. He hands affect the barrel path, but since the hands are a center-point of rotation for the barrel, the barrel can (and should) have a different path.

Great post Eric. It is abundantly clear that Arod does not understand the ferris wheel concept.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
[/QUOTE

He exaggerates both techniques. So what. He’s showing both extremes. So what.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
He exaggerates both techniques. So what. He’s showing both extremes. So what.

One he represents as the correct way to hit a ball. Thousands of parents and coaches are going to see this and teach exactly what he demonstrates as being "right", simply because it's ARod, and without any further investigation to find out that his real swing looks nothing like that. It's an awful demonstration, and a flat-out lie.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
But.....but he's a pro....it's got to be right................
giphy.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
"He exaggerates both techniques. So what. He's showing both extremes. So what."

He whose name we do not speak also exaggerates, but we seem to have an issue with that. I guess it all depends who the exaggerations come from. Sorry... I couldn't resist... ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying