Are slappers overrated?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Was looking at some stats from the 2014 Southeastern Conference. Got a spreadsheet of the 89 SEC hitters who batted at least .200 with at least 100 at-bats.

I think ranked them 1-89 based on OPS - on-base average + slugging percentage.

Interesting discovery: Six of the bottom seven are slappers.

I didn't do enough research to see where all the slappers fell. If someone knows the SEC very well and can identify them, let me know. But there aren't many at the top. I can try to post the results if someone is interested.

The highest-rated slapper, as best I can tell, is Kelsey Stewart of Florida - because she doesn't always slap and can hit for power - 27 extra-base hits in 233 at-bats. She's a great player, no doubt about it.

But many slappers don't hit for power. Take Missouri All-American Taylor Gadbois. She hit .421, but had only 6 extra-base hits. Further, she had only 16 walks. Another thing that seems apparent about slappers - Many of them don't draw a lot of walks, I assume because they are fast and pitchers do NOT want them on base, and by pitching to them, they typically are only risking a single. So while they may hit for good average, their on-base PCT is often not as high as you'd think.

Now, in Gadbois' case, she is an incredible base-stealer. She swiped 45. So her value is higher than her on-base average or OPS might suggest. But it's still worth noting that she ranks only 41st in the SEC in OPS and only 16th in on-base average. Heckuva player, but is she just how valuable is she? Should she be 3rd-team all-american when there are 40 other more productive hitters in the SEC based on OPS?

Another case in point is Emily Albus of Texas A&M. She hit .417 - but w/ only 7 extra-base hits, 0 HR. She walked only 9 times. She stole 15 bases, but only 5 in SEC games. Albus rankes 47th in OPS in the conference.

Gadbois and Albus are very good players that any SEC team would want to have. Not here to tear them down.

But when I see 6 slappers in the bottom 7 of OPS, and I don't see any full-time slappers in the top 20 of OPS, I've got to ask the question. Are slappers as valuable as people think? Do slappers sometimes make starting lineups because coaches think they need a slapper when they really need the most productive hitter? Do coaches sometimes think they need to get a slapper in every recruiting class when they should be looking for most productive hitter regardless of style?

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I think coaches know that OBP does not include ROE. Check their ROE stats to get a better picture. The scorekeeper is the weak link in slapper stats, I think.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IDK

For younger ages anyways anytime you can force the other Team to practice something and shift their defense around it is a good thing. Getting them thinking instead of just playing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think coaches know that OBP does not include ROE. Check their ROE stats to get a better picture. The scorekeeper is the weak link in slapper stats, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't think those stats are available on individual batters. I'm pretty skeptical that slappers draw a significant number of errors for it to matter, especially at the college level. Also, the NCAA softball rules are pretty nice to hitters and go out of their way to state: "When in doubt, scoring should always award base hits instead of charging errors.'' But that's just my opinion. No hard data to support it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IDK

For younger ages anyways anytime you can force the other Team to practice something and shift their defense around it is a good thing. Getting them thinking instead of just playing.

I don't take issue with the philosophy of slapping. It's a style of hitting. It's the best style for many players. Slappers can be very valuable. I'm just questioning whether slappers are over-valued.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Just my personal opinion...anytime you use slugging percentage with a slapper, its not going to look good. I dont think slappers are over rated, but if you are going to use slugging percentage to compare them to other hitters, they will usually fall well behind.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Gadbois was 4th in batting average (.421) and 10th in runs scored (55).

Albus was 6th in batting average (.417) and 30th in runs scored (39).

It is true that both are higher in runs scored than in OPS, but both of them had the advantage of batting leadoff, providing more opportunity to score runs, and neither was contributing many RBI. Gadbois had only 7 RBI, for example.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
...anytime you use slugging percentage with a slapper, its not going to look good.

That's true. Slappers are penalized for not having as many extra-base hits. The choice to go for batting average and on-base PCT comes at a price. They are sacrificing power. The question becomes how much better must their OBA be in order to compensate for the lack of power. I don't think slappers should get a pass for not having extra-base hits. They must provide something else that makes the sacrifice worth it. Many do that, no question. But I wonder if enough do that, whether some are favored because they are slappers while their true worth is not what is seems.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Fast slappers who can also hit for power are the toughest batters to defend. They can also drive opposing pitchers crazy by fouling off good pitches with 1/2 swings. Fast slappers create errors when fielders rush their throws. Fast slappers are usually good base runners with a lot of stolen bases. Fast slappers can prevent double plays with their speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877