Are slappers overrated?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2010
From a defensive coaching standpoint, I fear slappers more than anyone else. Big hitters? Eh. So what. The hit a ball in the gap and double? So what? No pressure is on the D. They are usually stationary until someone can put the ball in play.
But a slapper? My entire D tenses up. They get on? Every single thing is affected. Every pitch is a concern. They steal and my C throws the ball to the fence? Next batter singles to LF, can we make the play at 3B? Slapper on 2B- does my SS decide to try to get her out at 3B on a gb?
A slapper can mess my team up mentally like no one's business. P gives up a big HR? No big deal. We get embarrassed on D by a slapper? Takes everyone down.

Jun 11, 2013
It all comes down to production. If they are good at it they are extremely valuable if not then not so much.

The biggest mistake I see with slappers is to automatically put them up first when they aren't very good at it. You start
out so many games with 1 out.

Especially at younger levels with 4-5 inning games if you get your leadoff batter on it changes the whole inning. It's nice if they are a rabbit, but I would sacrifice speed for a 600 OBP any day.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
A slapper is only as good as a HC understands the concept and uses it appropriately. The SEC is not the most supportive conference for Slap Hitters.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So, what's funny is that Georgia, my favorite college team, opened the season today with 4 slappers in the lineup. Georgia is historically a 3-run HR team, not small ball, not in the least. Two of the slappers are new this year, sisters Sydni and Cortni Emanuel, one a Texas Tech transfer, the other a freshman. Another slapper is Niaja Griffin, who's been around but typically struggled. The fourth is Samantha LaZear, a player I like, but who does all those things that I was railing about - no extra-base hits, low walks.

Well, the four slappers go 6-for-8 w/ 2 walks and 7 runs in a 9-0 win over Coppin State. :) Rest of the team was 2-for-11. (Alex Hugo 1-for-2 w/ a 2B, in case anyone asks.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g