Any softball skill benefits to 14u with 24 on the roster ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Is this in response to a recent move by two of the higher rated 14u programs

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021
Are there any softball skill/performance benefits to a 14u team with 24 on the roster?
We first started travel by taking our 10U rec league team to some travel tourneys. We had like 20 kids on the roster. We were somewhat competitive but it was brutal taking all the ribbing from other coaches for the huge roster.

Its kind of funny now that a) we were so new to travel we didn't know any better, and b) even at 10U, coaches were already competitive enough to bully us about anything. Reminded me of the Will Ferrell movie Kicking and Screaming.

Jun 26, 2019
My 12yo played on a summer local team this year that had 17. Too many for one team and not enough for two, put more extra kids in the dugout and I wouldn’t even sign my kid up if it was free and across the street from my house. No way, not happening. As to the skills part of your question I sure don’t see any benefits to it.

Jan 22, 2011
Interesting. Is this just for PGF, or permanent going forward? Many orgs add players from their other teams to play at PGF to get them experience/exposure.

Makes no sense in my mind in 14u. Old rule of thumb is same number of players as age, unless you have a couple pitcher onlys. I know a player who didn't become "good enough" to play in college until she was 15, and she never would of developed on a 14u rosters of 20, let alone 24.

If you want them to 'scrimmage' together have joint organizational practices between 2 teams in the organization and scrimmage each other when needed.

Feb 20, 2020
I did think of another reason it might make sense. You live in a rural area and there's no other organization around, nor any secondary coach who has time/inclination to be a head coach. Then the team of 24 might be the only option for people unable/unwilling to drive several hours a week to practice.

To quote Jimmy Buffett -- make the best of a bad situation's 'bout all you can do.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
I have a hard time seeing how a roster that size can be of much benefit to anyone other than a coach that wants to hand pick what players attend certain tournaments. I've heard of large rosters where the coach will pick 12 or so players to attend the tournament and the others either stay home or guest play with someone else - seems crazy to me and I can't wrap my head around why any parent would want that for their child/player. I understand some parents chase teams so they can tell their friends and family that "my daughter plays for ________" when in reality, the daughter may be on the roster but all she does on tournament weekends is beat drum sticks on a bucket and acts as the bullpen catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619