The other side to the "Multi-Sport Athlete"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
I usually chuckle when I hear about the benefits of the multi-sport athlete. I truly understand and fully appreciate the point of view that kids should engage in as many sports as possible for various reasons. However when the time comes to specialize I don't think that the specialization turns off the valve of training and has such negative consequences like others feel. When my softball player trains she runs, maybe more than some track athlete's. She lifts heavy and for reps. She trains kickboxing at the local UFC gym and spars with others often. She jumps during anaerobic workouts and puts up numbers that are top of the charts. Her team workouts include burners, suicides' and just about every other exercise that basketball players engage in. Maybe her program is unique but I doubt it and think that many on here have their DD's in programs that are similar and I'm sure some are more intense.
Fast forward to this week, I am having a conversation with a parent who has a DD the same age as my kid. This is a parent who was adamant that my DD should not specialize in softball so early and even questioned our parenting back in the day for allowing her to do so. Our DDs both played basketball until 12's and LAX, Softball etc and they both wanted to play D1, they even picked out schools at 12 years old and hung banners on their walls. They were like sisters and the other DD was a much better pure athlete in my opinion, in fact she was a better softball player than DD in REC. DD decided to take the softball path and her friend went with the multi-sport approach because her parents refused to allow her to focus on only one sport even though she wanted to play softball year round. So her glove would get put away in fall and picked back up in spring.
Here we are 3 months from HS graduation and I bumped into DD's friends mother last night. Hadn't seen her in years. She congratulated me on DDs commitment and said "Yea I wish we could have kept "Danni" in just one sport, she is looking at a few colleges but no matter the sport will be a walk on, no schools have offered her as of yet".
I have no doubt that she will walk on and be a contributor to any program. Still a great overall athlete but in my opinion but never made the commitment to become great at one sport. I know that this is not a popular point of view and I remember being judged by parents from REC back in the day for moving DD from our local travel team to a regional team. There is no one size fits all approach and guess what, the multi-sport athlete doesn't have a clear advantage when it comes to playing in college, I'd argue it's a disadvantage to those who want to do so. Just my point of view.

Jun 8, 2016
I usually chuckle when I hear about the benefits of the multi-sport athlete. I truly understand and fully appreciate the point of view that kids should engage in as many sports as possible for various reasons. However when the time comes to specialize I don't think that the specialization turns off the valve of training and has such negative consequences like others feel. When my softball player trains she runs, maybe more than some track athlete's. She lifts heavy and for reps. She trains kickboxing at the local UFC gym and spars with others often. She jumps during anaerobic workouts and puts up numbers that are top of the charts. Her team workouts include burners, suicides' and just about every other exercise that basketball players engage in. Maybe her program is unique but I doubt it and think that many on here have their DD's in programs that are similar and I'm sure some are more intense.
Fast forward to this week, I am having a conversation with a parent who has a DD the same age as my kid. This is a parent who was adamant that my DD should not specialize in softball so early and even questioned our parenting back in the day for allowing her to do so. Our DDs both played basketball until 12's and LAX, Softball etc and they both wanted to play D1, they even picked out schools at 12 years old and hung banners on their walls. They were like sisters and the other DD was a much better pure athlete in my opinion, in fact she was a better softball player than DD in REC. DD decided to take the softball path and her friend went with the multi-sport approach because her parents refused to allow her to focus on only one sport even though she wanted to play softball year round. So her glove would get put away in fall and picked back up in spring.
Here we are 3 months from HS graduation and I bumped into DD's friends mother last night. Hadn't seen her in years. She congratulated me on DDs commitment and said "Yea I wish we could have kept "Danni" in just one sport, she is looking at a few colleges but no matter the sport will be a walk on, no schools have offered her as of yet".
I have no doubt that she will walk on and be a contributor to any program. Still a great overall athlete but in my opinion but never made the commitment to become great at one sport. I know that this is not a popular point of view and I remember being judged by parents from REC back in the day for moving DD from our local travel team to a regional team. There is no one size fits all approach and guess what, the multi-sport athlete doesn't have a clear advantage when it comes to playing in college, I'd argue it's a disadvantage to those who want to do so. Just my point of view.
I don't think there is a huge benefit outside of allowing the kid to enjoy themselves if they want to play multiple sports. One possible benefit I do see is that for kids who cannot play softball games all year, playing other sports allows them to "compete" in games all year round. Some kids may benefit from that (mentally) more than others.

Apr 28, 2014
I don't think there is a huge benefit outside of allowing the kid to enjoy themselves if they want to play multiple sports. One possible benefit I do see is that for kids who cannot play softball games all year, playing other sports allows them to "compete" in games all year round. Some kids may benefit from that (mentally) more than others.

Good point especially in climates where it is impossible to play softball games year round.

Jun 7, 2016
BT, Your point is well taken. I write this from Millville, home of the "Millville Meteor", Mike Trout. Undeniably a once in a generation talent/athlete. He was on track to be a 3 sport superstar (football, basketball and of course, BB). I have a friend who taught him at the HS. Clearly a superb athlete, but if he did not quit the other two sports to get the reps, I wonder how the story would have unfolded. There is a terrific article that touches on this:
https://vault.si.com/vault/2013/07/29/why-pujols-cant-and-arod-wouldnt-touch-this-pitch
in sports illustrated. The vignette about the volleyball player was especially enlightening. The article ties to the book "the Sports Gene", which I recommend just from the general information it contains about world class athletes.
Of course all this depends on your athletes passion for the sport and their innate athleticsm.

Jun 20, 2015
take 2 (or any number) of athletes. let 1 concentrate on he/she chosen sport versus 1 that plays all the sports. Is it that unreasonable that the one that practices just the one sport would strongly benefit from the amount of practice reps they have done???

Jan 28, 2017
Old football coach told me along time ago, if you roll a ball out there on the gym floor and they will not play with it, they will not be any good. LOL. He was talking about offensive linemen and some truth in that. If you specialize but are well rounded you will be better at your sport. If you are well rounded and do not specialize you probably will not be very good.

I also think that we play to many games and not enough practice. I think that TB makes you not hate losing as much. Very few can afford to not play TB and have a chance after HS. Our current HS team, 9 players play TB and two more have played TB, one is just the best athlete around but doesn't really do anything other than multiple HS sports. Very small school.

May 27, 2013
My dd is a HS 3 sport athlete. This is the only year she did not do her other 2 sports due to Covid. She played JV tennis and JV basketball for her HS. Never took them serious, enjoyed the different groups of friends that she made due to being on those teams. Since she didn’t play varsity or club for the other two, they never took away from softball. Actually at her school, it is a requirement for the students to play a sport each season, as they don’t have gym class during the school day, so she had no choice anyway.

The benefits I saw were she stayed fit and never slacked off as she had to workout for each sport. She used different muscle groups which helped her overall fitness (now since she can’t play those other sports she does weights and cardio at a local facility). The sports kept her more focused on school work as she had to manage her time well with practices and games. She enjoyed the competition and playing with her friends (travel is more business-like for her). Also not going to lie - but it does look great on college applications.

I get why focusing on one sport is done and why it can really help some athletes. For my dd, the opposite was true. Always 2 sides to every argument.

Apr 28, 2014
My dd is a HS 3 sport athlete. This is the only year she did not do her other 2 sports due to Covid. She played JV tennis and JV basketball for her HS. Never took them serious, enjoyed the different groups of friends that she made due to being on those teams. Since she didn’t play varsity or club for the other two, they never took away from softball. Actually at her school, it is a requirement for the students to play a sport each season, as they don’t have gym class during the school day, so she had no choice anyway.

The benefits I saw were she stayed fit and never slacked off as she had to workout for each sport. She used different muscle groups which helped her overall fitness (now since she can’t play those other sports she does weights and cardio at a local facility). The sports kept her more focused on school work as she had to manage her time well with practices and games. She enjoyed the competition and playing with her friends (travel is more business-like for her). Also not going to lie - but it does look great on college applications.

I get why focusing on one sport is done and why it can really help some athletes. For my dd, the opposite was true. Always 2 sides to every argument.
Your daughter plays/practices softball year round

Apr 28, 2014
BT, Your point is well taken. I write this from Millville, home of the "Millville Meteor", Mike Trout. Undeniably a once in a generation talent/athlete. He was on track to be a 3 sport superstar (football, basketball and of course, BB). I have a friend who taught him at the HS. Clearly a superb athlete, but if he did not quit the other two sports to get the reps, I wonder how the story would have unfolded. There is a terrific article that touches on this:
https://vault.si.com/vault/2013/07/29/why-pujols-cant-and-arod-wouldnt-touch-this-pitch
in sports illustrated. The vignette about the volleyball player was especially enlightening. The article ties to the book "the Sports Gene", which I recommend just from the general information it contains about world class athletes.
Of course all this depends on your athletes passion for the sport and their innate athleticsm.
For many years my second home was Fortescue, I worked on oyster boats. Hardest and most rewarding job ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles