The other side to the "Multi-Sport Athlete"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I can definitely see certain sports not meshing well together - for instance - softball and swimming. I know people say swimming is great exercise which it is, but certain strokes like the butterfly can cause a lot of shoulder strain combined with softball. Same for volleyball - lots of overhead motion. I can see that this could be where “overuse” injuries come into play - similar to a pitcher who throws year around without any breaks.

Feb 20, 2019
Those are studies regarding overuse injuries but other sports like volleyball and basketball tend to have more injuries that are traumatic in nature..sprains,tears,etc.

Like I said before, if you are making your kid play multiple sports because you think it is going to optimize something else softball related I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I also think that if you make your kid play only 1 sport because you are afraid they won't maximize their softball potential that is silly too. So at the end of the day don't make your kid do anything (sports-related) I guess is my point...lol

I think you nailed it - "make" is the key word here. Personally, I don't feel any parent (or coach) should make their ~<16 y/o kid play or not play any sport if the kid really wants to play that sport. Football might be the one exception. Now, I have no issues with a parent making the kid narrow the list if it's a causing grade issues or is creating too many conflicts. I've seen far too many 10U travel coaches making players/parents sign contracts stating their DD will only play softball and no other sports. I think that is just wrong at that age.

Injuries are going to happen, regardless of how many sports are being played. I can see both sides of the argument though. Jammed fingers in basketball? Definitely. I haven't seen that so much in volleyball, but ankle and knee injuries are common in both. But I've seen just as many injuries on the softball field.

Basketball/Volleyball = seasonal jammed/broken fingers.
Just something i've noticed.

How does serving in vollyball help throwing a softball?
Or
Can it actually (mechanics wise) work against each other?

You're thinking of it from a softball perspective. The overhand throwing motion of throwing a softball improves a volleyball player's overhand serve.

As has been mentioned several times in this thread, a lot of multiple sport athletes don't favor one over the other and haven't decided which one they will be most successful at for the long term. ALL sports require some degree of hand-eye coordination, deception (mental), balance and footwork. Most sport-specific skills will not directly translate to another sport, but the similarities can be very beneficial.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You're thinking of it from a softball perspective. The overhand throwing motion of throwing a softball improves a volleyball player's overhand serve.

As has been mentioned several times in this thread, a lot of multiple sport athletes don't favor one over the other and haven't decided which one they will be most successful at for the long term. ALL sports require some degree of hand-eye coordination, deception (mental), balance and footwork. Most sport-specific skills will not directly translate to another sport, but the similarities can be very beneficial.
i am specifically not thinking of it from one direction!

The comparison is a technical aspect of one sport
may cause muscle confussion to the other.
Like causing an unwanted carry over from the other sport

Think there is a difference in the two mechanics over hand volley ball serve and even spiking vs. Throwing.

That the specific difference may or may not help the other sport.

Like golf swing to hitting.
Or hitting to golf swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles