The other side to the "Multi-Sport Athlete"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My wife is a PT and has held a lot of positions in Rehab work. Another PT who worked
For her company was a WNBA trainer/Strength coach. This woman had studied this quite a bit and gave lectures and published papers on the topic. Her website girlscanjump.com had a wealth of info. It looks like it’s no longer a website, but if you Google girls can jump you can still find articles and blogs about her Findings. Things from jumping techniques, shoes, and strength
Training.

Dec 11, 2010
There actually is a fair amount of research that indicates the opposite.

Research confirms that single sport athletes have a higher career rate of injury than multiple sport athletes. Specifically, in a recent study published in the Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, evidence suggests an association between “early single sport specialization and overuse injuries.” The author goes on to point out that single sport athletes are associated with higher rates of psychological burnout and dropping out of sports altogether.

A study by the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health which included more than 1,500 high school athletes found that athletes who specialized in one sport were twice as likely to report a lower extremity injury as compared to those who played multiple sports.

Another recent study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine has those numbers even higher, claiming that spending more than eight months annually in one sport leaves young athletes nearly three times more likely to experience an overuse injury in their hip or knee.

I don't have a strong opinion on it one way or the other, but I don't believe it's necessarily a "fairy tale" justified by parents. You would like to think common sense would come into play when not running your kid into the ground.

People trot out the research like it’s some kind of grand injury prevention program while they are ending high school volleyball on a Tuesday and starting basketball on a Wednesday. They trot it out to justify summer programs involving volleyball at 9 a.m. and two basketball scrimmages at 5p. (All voluntary of course.) That’s what I’m talking about.

I bet none of the journals or societies quoted above would approve of that.

The words “early specialization“ are also important to note, to me that doesn’t mean high school.

People then quote and re-quote “multiple sport athletes have less injuries” with no further explanation or context, and with no context it isn’t true.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
My older kids attended one of the largest traditional high schools in the nation. when the school has dog gone near 7000 kids the opportunity to play multiple sports is very slim. But my oldest was extremely talented lettered as a freshman in Cross Country, Track, and Basketball, but my second daughter only played softball and did not make varsity until her Junior year, and the boy only played football in school and that was pretty much 247.......but all three had to run summer track period....no choice rather they liked it or not....but that was just me. If your athlete has the talent and the want too - well let them play multiple sports If you athlete has the talent and does not have the want to play multiple sports -- specialize.

I've seen allot of great 6th and 7th graders past up and out of sports by High School....... Especially girls they lost interest and once they are done there is no bringing them back.... so do what is best for the athlete...

The goal is what is best for the athlete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles