The other side to the "Multi-Sport Athlete"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There actually is a fair amount of research that indicates the opposite.

Research confirms that single sport athletes have a higher career rate of injury than multiple sport athletes. Specifically, in a recent study published in the Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, evidence suggests an association between “early single sport specialization and overuse injuries.” The author goes on to point out that single sport athletes are associated with higher rates of psychological burnout and dropping out of sports altogether.

A study by the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health which included more than 1,500 high school athletes found that athletes who specialized in one sport were twice as likely to report a lower extremity injury as compared to those who played multiple sports.

Another recent study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine has those numbers even higher, claiming that spending more than eight months annually in one sport leaves young athletes nearly three times more likely to experience an overuse injury in their hip or knee.

I don't have a strong opinion on it one way or the other, but I don't believe it's necessarily a "fairy tale" justified by parents. You would like to think common sense would come into play when not running your kid into the ground.
Even with multiple sports...
one over use season say in high school ball can trash summer travel for a pitcher

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Those are studies regarding overuse injuries but other sports like volleyball and basketball tend to have more injuries that are traumatic in nature..sprains,tears,etc.

Like I said before, if you are making your kid play multiple sports because you think it is going to optimize something else softball related I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I also think that if you make your kid play only 1 sport because you are afraid they won't maximize their softball potential that is silly too. So at the end of the day don't make your kid do anything (sports-related) I guess is my point...lol

I like firm opinions.

May 27, 2013
IMHO, if the decision is made by the parent to have their kid specialize in one sport and not allowing them to play any other sport (not travel level, just HS or rec level) if the kid truly wants to for fear of said kid not being able to go D1 if they take time away from softball, then that parent really should take a hard look at theirself and ask why.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So my kid played multiple sports. Over the years she played soccer, track, basketball, volleyball and softball. The last 3 she started varsity in HS. She also played in the marching band. It worked for her. You can’t tell me it was the wrong choice. But I won’t tell you that your dd who is happy playing one sport is wrong.

As they say in the backpacking world. Hike your own hike.

May 27, 2013
So my kid played multiple sports. Over the years she played soccer, track, basketball, volleyball and softball. The last 3 she started varsity in HS. She also played in the marching band. It worked for her. You can’t tell me it was the wrong choice. But I won’t tell you that your dd who is happy playing one sport is wrong.

As they say in the backpacking world. Hike your own hike.

Agreed. It should be all about the athlete and what makes them the most happy.

Dec 5, 2017
Completely disagree. This is the kind of oft repeated fairy tale that becomes “true” after parents repeat it while trying to justify running their kids into the ground with three sports.

Small hs perspective here. The hs pushes the three sport athlete bs, as do neighboring schools. The three sport athletes I coached in tb had more injuries. Plain and simple. They got ran like cattle from volleyball to basketball to softball with no break in between and in the summer they had “voluntary“ summer volleyball and basketball often both in the same day. Plus conditioning. Plus strength training. TWO three sport athletes on my 18u tb team had shoulder surgery last summer.

These kids never got a break to heal mentally or physically.
I think the idea of multisport athletes is to only play one sport at a time, instead they play one sport year round and the others overlap. That's what has happened with my dd. Softball never stops for more than a few weeks and then basketball/track also have to be squeezed in. She has suffered more injuries than her friends that only play one sport unfortunately. At this point I wish she only played sb or bb but SHE wants to do everything. Eventually she will have to pick one I suppose but it's her journey as we always say and I'll only try and guide her as best I can.

Dec 5, 2017
Those are studies regarding overuse injuries but other sports like volleyball and basketball tend to have more injuries that are traumatic in nature..sprains,tears,etc.

Like I said before, if you are making your kid play multiple sports because you think it is going to optimize something else softball related I think you are barking up the wrong tree. I also think that if you make your kid play only 1 sport because you are afraid they won't maximize their softball potential that is silly too. So at the end of the day don't make your kid do anything (sports-related) I guess is my point...lol
Based on some research I've done, soccer and cheer are the main culprits when it comes to knees. Having said that, dd has had lingering knee issues for a couple of seasons now that originated from basketball so what do I know?

Jun 8, 2016
Based on some research I've done, soccer and cheer are the main culprits when it comes to knees. Having said that, dd has had lingering knee issues for a couple of seasons now that originated from basketball so what do I know?
I can see that I guess. I do know that ACL tears seem to be pretty prevalent in basketball but I only have anecdotal evidence about that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think the idea of multisport athletes is to only play one sport at a time, instead they play one sport year round and the others overlap. That's what has happened with my dd. Softball never stops for more than a few weeks and then basketball/track also have to be squeezed in. She has suffered more injuries than her friends that only play one sport unfortunately. At this point I wish she only played sb or bb but SHE wants to do everything. Eventually she will have to pick one I suppose but it's her journey as we always say and I'll only try and guide her as best I can.
👆 👍

Overlapping sports
Also how about activities we may not consider sports.
(someone else brought this up earlier)
Skateboards for one example.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles