Any advice. Not perfect yet.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
+1 on this, looks good though.

These look like pre-inning warmup pitches, is this also her game pitch? I know my DD isn't giving max effort on her warmups.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Warmup. She pushes harder with a batter there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Just a whole lot going right here. The foot drag is something that stands out but form wise the most important thing is she is back to having back heel off the ground at release but it does still drag a lot you can watch Jennie Finch pitch her back heel does turn but it literally just bounces off the ground it doesn't drag I would be much more worried if the heel was on the ground at release but definitely could use some work. Overall I just don't see a lot of the big ticket items we usually look for she should be working on different pitches for the most part I think since she has a solid foundation not a repertoire of six of seven either. Have her experiment a little with grips and finger pressure to get some kind of movement on her "fastball" if she already does have some don't mess with it, a good change up,..what age 14U?

Nov 8, 2018
Just a whole lot going right here. The foot drag is something that stands out but form wise the most important thing is she is back to having back heel off the ground at release but it does still drag a lot you can watch Jennie Finch pitch her back heel does turn but it literally just bounces off the ground it doesn't drag I would be much more worried if the heel was on the ground at release but definitely could use some work. Overall I just don't see a lot of the big ticket items we usually look for she should be working on different pitches for the most part I think since she has a solid foundation not a repertoire of six of seven either. Have her experiment a little with grips and finger pressure to get some kind of movement on her "fastball" if she already does have some don't mess with it, a good change up,..what age 14U?

Dj thank you. The consensus is her back foot not dragging right. A friend pointed out a bit of pre opening causing the foot drag sideways and no real snap back because of it.
Yes 14u first year. Pitching travel for 2 seasons now.
As far as pitches : 4 seam fastball, 2 seam fastball, 4 seam drop, 2 seam drop, tailing 2 seam curve , one knuckle change, and a bad rise ball. Still
Perfecting.
She threw a lot of 2 seam fastballs, drop balls and curves this weekend. Had them all confused. Even her catcher said it just doesn’t look right.

Apr 12, 2015
The consensus is her back foot not dragging right.

The drag foot looks wrong because she is out of sequence. Her arm is ahead of her legs. If you can get her timing down to where her arm circle is at 3:00 when her drive foot detaches from the rubber, she'll be in sequence. Right now she detaches when the arm circle is about 12:00, which naturally puts her release ahead of her drag leg, so she is on the side of her foot at release rather than toe.

So, while the drag foot isn't "correct", I don't see it as the problem. Rather, it is a symptom of a problem further upstream.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
The drag foot looks wrong because she is out of sequence. Her arm is ahead of her legs. If you can get her timing down to where her arm circle is at 3:00 when her drive foot detaches from the rubber, she'll be in sequence. Right now she detaches when the arm circle is about 12:00, which naturally puts her release ahead of her drag leg, so she is on the side of her foot at release rather than toe.

So, while the drag foot isn't "correct", I don't see it as the problem. Rather, it is a symptom of a problem further upstream.

Definitely an issue we have been fighting. Any suggestions on a fix. Slow the arm. Delay the arm etc

Sep 29, 2014
I'm no expert but any cue to slow down the arm seems like a bad idea. Finding the right point to start the arm forward sounds like a better bet then once you start you want to keep the arm speed up.

Again I'm not a PC but just going off experience I do have...other might have better hints to help.

Jan 28, 2017
Looks lik

IMO, driving with shoe strings facing the catcher for as long as possible will correct the detachment problem. Really the same thing. Her drive foot is completely turned before she detaches. She is on her toe then down flat then back up to get back connected. My DD sometimes when rocking back will lean towards first on the move back which hurts her leg drive.

Apr 12, 2015
I'm no expert but any cue to slow down the arm seems like a bad idea.

100% correct. The solution isn't slowing the arm down. At best that would be a band-aid fix, assuming it even worked.

The answer is to get the legs ahead of the arm. So either speed up the legs, or, as @djcarter1966 suggests, delay the arm when it starts forward. She has some overlap in her pre-motion....my way of correcting the sequence would be to just add more overlap. Have her fight to keep her arm back as she drives out. This will lead to a "panicked" feel in the pitch as her body sends her brain signals it isn't in the right position. This is natural and she will adjust. It will also bring things into sync.

When dealing with this problem it is important to remember that the arm will always catch up to the legs, but the legs will NEVER catch up to the arm.

Jan 28, 2017
Went back and watched the view from behind her. It appears she is leaning toward 1st base when she rocks back and doesnt transfer the weight to her drive leg. Then just turns the drive foot. Not rocking straight back causes my DD problems and an easy fix but she never knows she does it

Nov 8, 2018
100% correct. The solution isn't slowing the arm down. At best that would be a band-aid fix, assuming it even worked.

The answer is to get the legs ahead of the arm. So either speed up the legs, or, as @djcarter1966 suggests, delay the arm when it starts forward. She has some overlap in her pre-motion....my way of correcting the sequence would be to just add more overlap. Have her fight to keep her arm back as she drives out. This will lead to a "panicked" feel in the pitch as her body sends her brain signals it isn't in the right position. This is natural and she will adjust. It will also bring things into sync.

When dealing with this problem it is important to remember that the arm will always catch up to the legs, but the legs will NEVER catch up to the arm.

Ya know. We had that timing down when doing the stand tall and fall drill a couple months ago. Noticed recently she stopped driving as arm came back. However, she has been pitching so well and with tournament and tournament I didn’t want to touch it. But as we end up the season it’s time to address the drive issue and the timing issue. I think they will be easy to fix. Grooving it will take time though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying