Another one for the file.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
You are right, it's mostly up to the coach to prep his team to be "bush league resistant", but it would be nice if it was within the umpire's power to actually call these clown coaches on this stuff.

It is subjective enough as it is, where would you draw the line? Every time something happened a coach or parent did not like there would be an outcry for the umpire to "do something". Then every time an umpire didn't like a deceptive play that may be completely legal, you are going to have umpires using "poor" or GAGA judgment and really screw up a game.

No, I like the way things are now. Coaches should take care of the players and the parents.

As I noted in an earlier post, there is a way to handle the fans. If it gets that bad that the umpire believes it is affecting the game, just stop the game. There is no rule demanding the umpire continue a game. You call the coaches out and tell them that the game is suspended until the problem child outside the fence is taken care of. Of course, one coach is going to whine and complain. If it is bad enough, you get rid of him and still wait for the issue to be resolved. BTW, if there is a clock, you don't stop it.

Some are not going to like it, but it will resolve the issue one way or the other and maybe even teach a few people some responsbility while having those responsible handle the situation.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
It is subjective enough as it is, where would you draw the line? Every time something happened a coach or parent did not like there would be an outcry for the umpire to "do something". Then every time an umpire didn't like a deceptive play that may be completely legal, you are going to have umpires using "poor" or GAGA judgment and really screw up a game.

No, I like the way things are now. Coaches should take care of the players and the parents.

I draw the line at coaches who purposefully try to confuse young kids. It's not a very difficult distinction in my mind, but I am not an umpire. You say coaches should take care of it. Maybe I live in a unique area, but in the NorCal tournies I've been at, so far I would say the unsportsmanlike and bush league stuff I've seen has come 95+% from coaches. Maybe that's conservative. I can't remember a kid or parent yet who has been a problem. Yet I see coaches put on disgusting displays nearly every single day.

The rule book talks about verbally confusing players with regards to interference. Is there any umps here who have an interpretation of what that might mean?

Feb 3, 2011
We actually talked about this last night and while there are a few coaches that want explicit protections outlined in the rulebook, it was generally agreed that if you tried that, you'd end up with a reasonably-sized book of rules and then an encyclopedia of exceptions. It simply is not practical.

As MTR said above, let the umpires handle what's happening on the field at their discretion. If the umpire determines that a particular cheer or exclamation from a team's dugout is disrupting the game, then they can take action, and could even stop the game or eject a coach if the coach failed to control the dugout.

I cannot explain why it happens, but way too many people put way too much stock in the outcomes of the thousands of meaningless youth softball games being played each weekend.

Nov 18, 2009

One thing I will never understand.......why in most other sports trick plays are glamorized. ( not just the play in this post ) In women's softball it is considered bush league or classless.

Arod was on second running to third on a pop up in the hole between short and 3rd maybe 3 years ago. As he passed the 3rd baseman setting up to make the play he yelled "i got it, i got it" The 3rd baseman backed off and the ball dropped. He was hammered for doing this for weeks and he is a player in an MLB game not some idiot sitting behind the backstop trying to trick pre-teen girls. So yeah, you should be embarrassed by your actions.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
One thing I will never understand.......why in most other sports trick plays are glamorized. ( not just the play in this post ) In women's softball it is considered bush league or classless.
Trick plays executed by the players are great. Including most of the ones you describe. And is often a mark of good coaching when teams can pull them off at important times.

I don't think anyone has a problem with runner on 3, girls stops between 1st/2nd to draw a throw to try scoring runner from 3rd. heck we were doing that as 10 year olds back when I was in baseball. Though having the runner fall down may be a tad over the top.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the 3rd baseman faking a throw to 1st on a bunt to try and get the runner on 3rd to go home and get her out.

I think there are whole host of trick plays that palyers can pull off where it is good coahing and good execution.

I think what people have a problem with here is coaches who from the sidelines try to distract the other team by yelling stupid stuff to intentionally try and trick opposing players. I think people would have the same problem with boys baseball, youth soccer, basketball, pick any sport where the opposing coach is just acting like bush league d-bag. especially when the young girls in question are 7, 8, 9, 10 years old. At the older levels, I think many of the girls have learned to ignore that kind of garbage and hopefully by that time the coahes has stopped yelling instructions at players.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm not sure where I ever said I was doing this to "new players/8u/10u" learning the game. I used it the first time in 12u, and to be honest, I used it because that team had really started some issues with another team ( who I liked and had some people too timid to do anything about it ). I had a pretty good group of talent that year. Sure I might have been out of line, but I'd be typing all day ex[plaining the events that lead up to that. They deserved all we gave them and more.

I do realize some of you have never played sports and live through their kids, some have played but not past high school. I can assure you things happen out on the road and around the field that are not very nice.

I'm a super nice guy, but I can be a smart A$$ when I'm pushed or need to take care of a team starting some mess. That's when I'll open a bag of tricks. I stated before we don't pull crap every game, just when someone deserves a kick in the pants. I realize most of you in 10u or so have not been involved in the HUGE team rivalries like in 14u-18u. Some are intense to say the least.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I can assure you things happen out on the road and around the field that are not very nice.

I think most of us have seen it a time or three. Doesn't mean we have to like or condone it.

I'm a super nice guy, but I can be a smart A$$ when I'm pushed or need to take care of a team starting some mess. That's when I'll open a bag of tricks. I stated before we don't pull crap every game, just when someone deserves a kick in the pants. I realize most of you in 10u or so have not been involved in the HUGE team rivalries like in 14u-18u. Some are intense to say the least.
Again I have no problem with the bag of tricks plays, even at young ages if executed by the players.

It's coaches acting like an rear that I have a problem with.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't act an a$$ unless someone pulls the trigger first and acts like one. I do know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but I'm also not going to tuck my tail and hide. In life there are times to take a beating, times to be humble............and times to take the gloves off. Separating the 3 can be difficult at any age.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I do realize some of you have never played sports and live through their kids, some have played but not past high school. I can assure you things happen out on the road and around the field that are not very nice.

Thats funny because I was thinking that you were one of those parents/coaches who are living through their kids by interjecting themselves into the play and justifying it by calling it a trick play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32