Another one for the file.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Thats funny because I was thinking that you were one of those parents/coaches who are living through their kids by interjecting themselves into the play and justifying it by calling it a trick play.

OK, you just boiled the whole thing down to one simple truth.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Once I figure out how to dance and pitch the ball fast underhand I can start living my sports life thru my DD. :) Usually they are separate activities but with DD you never know.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Well, I have more respect for the game than to interject myself as a fan or approve of a coach interjecting themselves in the game solely to confuse the opposing team. That is all I am saying.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
On a more serious note told my DD if she has a problem during the game, an opposing Team’s Manager or coach purposely yelling bad advice to her falls into this category, that she was to tell me, umpire or another coach immediately. It would be resolved or we would leave the game and go home.

An Issue happened this spring that she was afraid to tell me about during the game because she knows I was serious about packing up and going home. She told me about it after the game. There is an Issue when on the ride home DD is telling my how much an a** the other Team’s 1st base coach is.

DD and I still have not resolved our communication Issue.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
quincy I hear you and sympathize, you gotta draw your line somewhere, however I don't know that "taking your ball and going home" is necessarily the best thing to teach your DD

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Just FTR, if I was living vicariously through my DD, I'd be going to her cello recitals in an air-conditioned hall and sipping wine.
Watching her crouch in the dust on a hot weekend while people crash into her and listening to d-bags advertise their acumen from the stands while I sweat through my second shirt was not what I envisioned.
.....pardon the interruption, as you were......

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
quincy I hear you and sympathize, you gotta draw your line somewhere, however I don't know that "taking your ball and going home" is necessarily the best thing to teach your DD

That is why we have a communication Issue, she agrees with you. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Man, I never knew I was the only sinner on here. At least I can come clean to all about a few bone head moves. ( and like I said, I only did it when someone deserved it )

I guess no one on here has drove over the speed limit to get their DD to a game or practice. If you have guess what, you've broken a rule/law. May seem harmless to you, may make someone else mad on the road, may or may not cause an accident. But I'm guilty of that and put money on it EVERYONE who has been throwing stones has too.

I still love and enjoy you guys.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I draw the line at coaches who purposefully try to confuse young kids. It's not a very difficult distinction in my mind, but I am not an umpire. You say coaches should take care of it. Maybe I live in a unique area, but in the NorCal tournies I've been at, so far I would say the unsportsmanlike and bush league stuff I've seen has come 95+% from coaches. Maybe that's conservative. I can't remember a kid or parent yet who has been a problem. Yet I see coaches put on disgusting displays nearly every single day.

Then why do the parents allow their children to play for such idiots?[/quote]

The rule book talks about verbally confusing players with regards to interference. Is there any umps here who have an interpretation of what that might mean?[/QUOTE]

No, the rule book doesn't say anything about "verbally confusing" anyone. Could screaming at a player be INT? Sure, it could also be a form of OBS if from the defense. INT is not a call you guess and better be sure when you make the call. And you need to have patience or all of a sudden you have umpires calling INT/OBS because someone doesn't like the sound of a cheer.

Whether you like it or not, there are just as many sneaky little managers out there that think they are Gene Mauch, Earl Weaver or Billy Martin and will do ANYTHING when arguing with an umpire and they believe it is okay to denegrate anyone for a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1